Help on the Internet - Sometimes Better Not to Ask

bobcat

TechSpot members take it for granted that they will receive expert help. They are privileged, because this is not always quite so elsewhere… :)

CLICK HERE

Bob cat, actually just run!
vfil4o.jpg

Only joking :D

If that is genuine, then the respondents should be taken outside and whipped within inches of their miserable lives.

Treating a child like that is nothing short of abuse and I find it absolutely sickening.

shoeseat: If you think that was at all funny, you either need some serious help or to grow up quickly.

Gillian

OK guys, cool it down, this is meant for amusement, not for getting upset about.

@gillianbrown
The thread is genuine. But the photo shows the topic starter when he was a child. He no longer is.

Being a new member, I hesitated a little before posting the thread, because of the language and the last pic in it. But the case is such a classic, I felt TechSpot members should not be deprived of it. After all, we are all grownups with good judgment.

I think that's reasonable gillianbrown
I nearly did the "report post" option (due to the pic) myself

If you feel the original post is too disgusting, you can report it to, by pressing the report post symbol
report.gif
, on the top right hand corner of any specific post (that has the issue), and then stating your issue with that post.

It's not how it is presented, it's how people take it, that counts

Why are you guys reporting this? Do you seriously have no sense of humor towards others misfortunes?

I can show worst caps than this if you really want to see something...

Want Some Candy?

This thread is a prime example of why parents should teach their children in no uncertain terms not to talk to strangers. In person, or on the internet.

With that out of the way, regrettably the misfortune of another in this case is halarious. But it is also a classic example of why we can't seem to look away from trainwrecks. I don't condone it, and I absolutely had nothing to do with it. Nor do I think anybody here had anything to do with it. In terms of human emotions, laughing at something, yet being empathetic toward the misfortune of another are simply not mutually exclusive feelings.

But with all the fuss being generated over this issue, and it having nothing to do with the treatment young people receive here at Techspot, I think that the outrage that it has created could lead someone to believe, that the person doing all the complaining could possibly be, (1)"too far up their own backside", to be objective about the thread.

(1) Do I need to state my source on this expression, ("too far up their own backside"), so as to avoid any claim of plagarism?

At last, common sense has spoken in the last two well-worded posts, just when I was beginning to remember the old adage:
“Common sense is not as common as is commonly believed.”

But I have a few things to add too, which I base on what has actually been said.

IIt's not how it is presented, it's how people take it, that counts.
That’s not quite right. A person can understand, or say he understood, whatever he wants, based on his personal education, problems or motivations.

What you mean to say is “it's how reasonable people understand it”, which is something different. Furthermore, the intention and presentation are not irrelevant, but also count. The post was clearly meant for amusement and was presented as an example to avoid, not to adopt.

Clarifications:
the respondents should be taken outside and whipped within inches of their miserable lives.
Treating a child like that is nothing short of abuse and I find it absolutely sickening.
Gillian
She understood that the requestor was a child, though he had said in his very first post “this was from when I was a wee little tike”. Now, I don’t call this “understanding”. She proceeded to even “understand” a case of child abuse!

Yet, when I pointed out to her that he no longer is a kid, it had no effect. I don’t call this “reasonable”.

Last but not least, though she was so fast to take offense and report a light-hearted post, she didn’t refrain from herself offending another member:
shoeseat: If you think that was at all funny, you either need some serious help or to grow up quickly.
Gillian

This is the only offensive post worth reporting in the entire thread.

I clarify that by the above I do not wish to offend anyone, even if he/she has offended me, or thought he/she did, but just to put a few facts in place, where they should really have been all along.

I thought it was very funny. The whole thread just shows that you cant trust that you will get the help you need on a thread, people post threads to try to find answers that does not mean that you will find it( not true for techspot)

At last, common sense has spoken in the last two well-worded posts, just when I was beginning to remember the old adage:
“Common sense is not as common as is commonly believed.”

But I have a few things to add too, which I base on what has actually been said.

That’s not quite right. A person can understand, or say he understood, whatever he wants, based on his personal education, problems or motivations.

What you mean to say is “it's how reasonable people understand it”, which is something different. Furthermore, the intention and presentation are not irrelevant, but also count. The post was clearly meant for amusement and was presented as an example to avoid, not to adopt.

Clarifications:

She understood that the requestor was a child, though he had said in his very first post “this was from when I was a wee little tike”. Now, I don’t call this “understanding”. She proceeded to even “understand” a case of child abuse!

Yet, when I pointed out to her that he no longer is a kid, it had no effect. I don’t call this “reasonable”.

Last but not least, though she was so fast to take offense and report a light-hearted post, she didn’t refrain from herself offending another member:

This is the only offensive post worth reporting in the entire thread.

I clarify that by the above I do not wish to offend anyone, even if he/she has offended me, or thought he/she did, but just to put a few facts in place, where they should really have been all along.

Well Said!

Back