HELP spyware and now IE will not open

Status
Not open for further replies.
are you able to go back to a restore point?? I know you can on xp but not sure about 2001. If you can there should be stored dates prior to yesterday that will allow you to set your computer back to the settings at that time.

I am not able to do so.

My friend got on my pc today and was able to get IE working. He went into my internet connetions and done something (set some default). My husband closed out IE when he was finished and NOW I can't open it up from the short cut. I have NO clue what my friend did. He told me that I needed to download spyware protection and that my IE was corupt.

I hope this may help some...?

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

1st
You should scan the spyware and delete those spyware in your pc. I use Ad-aware which is a software tool to remove the spyware. You may download them in this website: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Since now, you can't use your web browser, you may borrow your friend's pc to download it and store in your pen drive and install in your own pc.

After installing the Ad-aware, click on Ad-aware on your desktop. Before start scan, recommend to update first. Delete those spyware after scan.

2nd
Go to control panel-> add/remove program -> add/remove windows component then untick IE option box
This action is to disble IE work in your pc.

3rd
recommend to use Mozilla Firefox (type of web browser) rather than IE. You can download it at: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/. Firefox is faster than IE when browsing and it prevent some spyware.

Hope is helpful for you :D

Jevond
Where do you get your (wrong) info about Adaware from?
Lavasoft is an extremely reputable and trustworthy software supplier.
I happen to be the resident spyware/adware-removal adviser on this forum.

PS: if you know a method to get my hands on some of those small goat-cheeses in brine, that they make on Gozo, I'd be very interested!

RE lavasoft, i am sure it is, for some reason though i had done a scan with bazooka i think it was at the time, where it used to detect adaware as spyware..... and i heard it somewhere around i am not sure where, been a while now since i used adaware...... i tried spybot and never looked back, i personally find it better....... down to personal opinion i guess. I just pass on what i hear it is always nice to get feedback, that is how we all learn!

Re gozo cheeslets, i will ask abit around for you no pro..... the only problem is to export to dublin since they need to be kept refrigerated...... they are really good aint they!! :)

P.s. have you ever tried spybot?!

Adaware finds problems that Spybot does not, and vice versa. They complement each other rather well.
If you ever get 'hit' by a worm or virus, or get 'hijacked', follow my instructions here:
How to remove Begin2Search/Coolwebsearch and Other Nasties
One of the most-read posts on this forum (last count 66'744).

As to those cheeslets, you are probably talking about the factory-made ones in a plastic bag that you buy in a grocery, they need to be kept refrigerated. I don't like those.
The ones I am talking about are the Gbejniet, peppered, and stored in glass jars with brine and vinegar, probably home-made by a local farmer on Gozo.
You eat them -at least we did- with white bread and tomatoes, washed down with Gozo wine. Such a pleasure!
Last time we were on Gozo, we bought them in Cittadella in a small bar, you enter the city, keep to the left, then go uphill left of the church, and about 50-70 yards on the left. Can't remember the name of the place. We got 6 jars to take home, they were that good!

No wonder it is one of the best posts...... hats off......great forum.

Re the gbejniet, i was talking about the ones that you buy from the old lady in the street in the jars which are left in brine.......... not the crappy supermarket ones........ if they are kept refrigerated they taste better in our hot summers :)
I know the place you are talking about, they serve traditional maltese stuff...... they have really good stuff there!! Dont blame you for taking 6....
I will ask abit around maybe there are who deliver abroad and i will let you know.

i managed to find an address and phone number that you might want to contact....... It is of the Gozitan co-operative of cheeslets (Gbejniet) producers. Will continue looking

c/o 31/4, Main Gate Street, Victoria, Gozo
Tel:2155 8030

I will not be in gozo for some time now so i am doing some searching and emailing a couple of friends. It is always nice to hear about foreigners who appreciate our food. :)

I have the spyware on my pc but it will not let me run it... it is giving me all kind of errors

I have no clue what to do now?

SonnysGirl, I suggest picking up a jar of Gbejniets, cause this could get dirty!

We need more information.

What is your OS? XP?
Did you follow RBSs post mentioned TO THE T!
Be sure to do all this from SAFE MODE (update all the tools first online then go to safe mode)

If the tools (which ones?) still won't run, or, what are those errors?

You may have bigger problems.

Still need info here. Did anything clean anything? Did any of the tools even work? What is your OS and what version of IE are you using?
Did any of the cleaner programs give you a clue as to the name of your pests?

Help us help you. Verbose is the name of the game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back