Help ~ wireless network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wireless network worked perfectly normal yesterday. Today, when I tired to connect to the internet, everything that needs internet didn't work. I tired renewing the IP. I really don't know what should I do. I am not very familar with computers, I really hope that you guys can help me. Is it possible that I got virus??

I am using a Toshiba L25 Laptop with atheros AR5005G wirless network adapter. The router I am using is D Link DI-524. The other notebook connecting through the router is alright. So, I don't think it is the problem of the router. It's just this laptop of mine that fails to work. There is an icon at the right hand corner showing that the connection is there and the signal is "excellent". I tired disabling the fiewall. It doesn't work either. Whenever I open any web browser "opers, IE and FF", they all say that "cannot connect to the internet". Every softwares in my computer that requires internet don't work. I really can't afford to format my computer. Please~~

edgie said:
My wireless network worked perfectly normal yesterday. Today, when I tired to connect to the internet, everything that needs internet didn't work. I tired renewing the IP. I really don't know what should I do. I am not very familar with computers, I really hope that you guys can help me. Is it possible that I got virus??

I am using a Toshiba L25 Laptop with atheros AR5005G wirless network adapter. The router I am using is D Link DI-524. The other notebook connecting through the router is alright. So, I don't think it is the problem of the router. It's just this laptop of mine that fails to work. There is an icon at the right hand corner showing that the connection is there and the signal is "excellent". I tired disabling the fiewall. It doesn't work either. Whenever I open any web browser "opers, IE and FF", they all say that "cannot connect to the internet". Every softwares in my computer that requires internet don't work. I really can't afford to format my computer. Please~~

Ahh the pleasures of wireless networking, I used to have a sig that said "working wirelessly and loving it" then it started to get a pain in the backside, losing connection, dropping packets and the like, in the end I dropped the sig because it was a lie, but anyway I digress,

Most problems are caused by a faulty SSID or Key, your wireless network will use either one or both to secure it and odds are your laptop wireless software has slipped and lost one or the other, if you set this up in the first place, you will know what you used, if not then go back to the router handbook or wireless card hand book and work through it.

There are plenty of articles on the web and the router /card website will have full instructions no doubt if you get stuck, I found an MS site here that may help.

It might be a DNS issue as well. You might check your DNS servers to make sure they are set properly.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

I am not familiar with computer..how do i do it?

I tired pinging some sites, the IP address can be pinged. However when I try the gateway address, it doesn't work. So, what's my problem and how do i fix it? Thanks in advance ~~

edgie said:
I tired pinging some sites, the IP address can be pinged. However when I try the gateway address, it doesn't work. So, what's my problem and how do i fix it? Thanks in advance ~~

Start >run > cmd>enter type ipconfig /all and press enter .

do this on the working PC and the none working PC and post them here.

Well if you are pinging the sites by their IP and it is working, but you can't ping the website name, then it is a problem with the DNS servers. They cannot resolve the names into IP addresses to continue to the site.

This sounds almost exactly like my problem. My wireless connection suddenly stopped working, though the Status says "Connected" with good speed and excellent signal strength. Both of my roommates can connect to our network, and I've tried resetting the connections, repairing the connection, manually entering the hex key, etc. It connects fine through the ethernet cord, and the computer seems to think the device is working properly. I did try and ping sites and it didn't work. Any suggestions? Or is the wireless card broken?

akfo_ne said:
My wireless connection suddenly stopped working, though the Status says "Connected" with good speed and excellent signal strength. Both of my roommates can connect to our network, and I've tried resetting the connections, repairing the connection, manually entering the hex key, etc. It connects fine through the ethernet cord, and the computer seems to think the device is working properly. I did try and ping sites and it didn't work. Any suggestions? Or is the wireless card broken?
Try disableing security features for now, just to troubleshoot - disable WEP/WPA/etc, disable filtering....... then try. May also want to consider updating your firmware on the router..

This is exactly the problem i am facing. I am really pissed off with this. I made a post few minutes ago about it. I dont know what is the basic problem. I have toshiba satellite L25 s1192 lap top this ar 5005 card.

wireless connection problem

this problem is related to dns server. my problem solved after 4 weeks of efforts (involved unsuccessfult struggling with ip settings, dns settings, wep key setting changes, reintalling drivers of wireless card, and finally reformatting the hard drive.)
I upgraded the firmware of the router which solved the problem immediately. Sadly however i have ordered a new wireless card which i have to return now!

retrospectively i feel if i could have checked my laptop with someones else router i could have identified this problem earlier.

Customer supports from toshiba and verizon were not helpful. Action tech router website strongly suggested not for any firmware upgrade if the router has been purchased from the phone company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back