Help with connecting two routers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My cable internet connection is connected to a D-link DIR615 wireless router. The back of my house is a wifi blackspot so I've run a cable from the DIR615 to my Media Center PC at the back of the house. I have an old Netgear WGR614v9 wireless router and am hoping to connect the ethernet cable currently connected to the Media Center to the WGR614. I am hoping that it would then be possible to run further cables from the WGR614 to the Media Center, games consoles, NAS etc and also utilise the wireless signal from the WGR614 for my internet radio. Is this all technically possible? Would I connect the cable from the DIR615 to the yellow port (modem connection) on the WGR615 or one of the other 4 ports?

I've had a look on google but only managed to confuse myself with descriptions of access points, bridges, range extenders etc.

My level of technical ability is being able to enable/disable DHCP, set static IP addresses and generally fiddle with things.

Thanks a lot!

Hi dwl99.

This is perfectly possible :)
What you need to do is have the D-link DIR615 set up as a router, which you do already and then have the WGR614v9 set up as an access point. To do this turn of DHCP and NAT on your WGR614v9. You do this by accessing the router setup page.
Once done this the D-link router will be giving out IP's, firewall, translating private and public IP's on your network and the WGR614v9 will be there to just give out a signal. You dont plug the cable into the yellow port, it can go into any of the other four.
Hope that helps you out =)

Thanks, that's very helpful. What would I do about the wireless part - do I need to give it a new SSID or will it clone the existing one? I take it I would need to give the WGR614 a new IP address within the existing network range or does it just all sort itself out?

Yup you give it an SSID, but make sure it's the same as the routers one, also set up encryption on it aswell, wpa hopefully.

Which Hardware version of the 615 do you have? Did you update the firmware on this router too?

Which Hardware version of the 615 do you have? Did you update the firmware on this router too?

Yep, it's the B2 version, latest 2.25 firmware. Although I'm also waiting for dd-wrt to bring out firmware for it.

All up & running perfectly now, thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back