Help with graphics card please

Status
Not open for further replies.
An 8x AGP card would run in a 4X AGP slot - but that isn't exactly a good card. It's pretty slow for both today's and tomorrow's games.

The card would work in your pc but you would hav to set the card to 4x not 8x. It wouldn't be using the full capabilities of the card, to addition the 9200SE isn't really a card I would advise you to get due to the upcoming games (Doom3, half-life2, quake 4, unreal tournament 2004 etc). These are heavy demands for future games so I recommend getting a 9800SE if ur still intersted in the SE's but otherwise get a 9800 pro they're sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!:grinthumb

Originally posted by InsaneMonkeyBoy
I recommend getting a 9800SE if ur still intersted in the SE's but otherwise get a 9800 pro they're sweeeeeeeeeet!!!!:grinthumb

The 9800 Pro is a great card but the 9800SE is not! Its slower than a 9600 Non-pro! At that price/performance get the Radeon 9600 Pro! You'll probably be able to find one around $145. You might also consider the Nvidia Geforce FX 5900 for around $185-$200. If all of those are out of your price range, consider waiting for a few months. New video cards from both Nvidia and Ati are nearing their release. The new cards are sure to lower current prices.

You're right BUT the 9800SE is considerably better than the 9200SE and because they are small cards I think pez doesn't like bigger cards (9800pro, 9600pro etc) otherwise yeh a 9600pro would be a great choice. SO if size doesn't matter and you dont mind having a sperate power for your new card get a 9600pro otherwise got for one of the SE models.

PS: the Nvidia FX cards are not working properly with Dirext X9 and it makes you think if DirectX10 will be any better. (in other words gom with ATI :D )

PS: the Nvidia FX cards are not working properly with Dirext X9 and it makes you think if DirectX10 will be any better. (in other words gom with ATI :D)
please? are we not past this "nvidia cards can't draw DX9" rubbish? Yes the Geforce FX had a bad start - but now nvidia can match ATi's image quality and near performance in both the mid-range and the high-end in DX9 enabled games.
http://www.tweaktown.com/document.php?dType=article&dId=613
This says it all
A 5700 Ultra can perform as well as (and even outperform) a 9600XT, and a 5900SE will destroy the 9600XT.
A 5950 Ultra can hold its ground against a 9800XT in most cases.
nvidia have caught up - and the new drivers promise 20% performance. Ok, while this might be marketing rubbish any performance boost is worth it now nvidia have the image quality sorted out

Steg

LOL - you must be new to the video card game then. ATI had a much worse start earlier in the game.
BTW - don't expect any difference in performance between 4X AGP and 8X AGP. If you're at the point where you're using it to pass textures things are probably already much too slow for that card.

Thank you all for your reply's.
I think i'll hang on for a while and wait for these new cards to arrive.
As you can see buy the price of the card i wanted, i haven't got much to spend, certainly not in the £300.00 range, i like a bit of gaming, but not that much !
Anyway, thanks again, much appreciated.

;)

Ah.....we would all dearly love to have £300 to spend on a GFX card alone....then that much again on RAM....and again on a CPU....and again on HDD's....and again on speakers

oh the list goes on :D

Steg

lol yeh but by the time you have all the cool stuff there's TONS of new stuff that comes out that you want!!! :D

The list goes on and on :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back