Help with integrated graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

truflip

i have a mobo with integrated graphix and im planning to upgrade to a AGP8X 256mb vid card.. what will i need to do? thank you in advance

Well, if you motherboard has an agp slot(as many integrated mobos lack graphics upgrade slots), you buy an agp card that's compatible(if your board has 8x agp get an 8x card), carefully install it(after reading it's directions of course), and then boot up. It should display using a generic windows driver, but look really low quality. If it doesn't display from the new card, you might have to enter the bios and setup the video options. Maybe select that your using an agp card instead of integrated or something like that, bioses vary. Then, you install the newest drivers for the card, like if it's nvidia based, dl the latest driver from nvida and install it.

thanks a lot vnf4ultra :grinthumb

hmm.. now wut if the one i want is an OEM? doesnt come with anything BUT the card =S ive never done any of this bios stuff or actually done vid card upgrades.. do you a guide that can show me step by step how to install an OEM? if not, i'll google..

thank you again

Smart thing to do...

A smart thing to do is read the install process before you even open the system as some Vid cards need you to install the driver first.

as for your CMOS not BIOS (BIOS Cannot be changed with out a flashing, CMOS is your System set up settings) settings you enter them and and look for the "Enable/Disable Onboard Video" or it may read as "Onboard Video" "Enabled" highlight this option using the the up, down, left & right keys hit "Enter" then highlight "Disable" "Enter" "Esc" then got to the "Save Changes" option normaly in the far right menu Highlight and hit "Enter"

I would Read throght this stuff and go through all the menus and options, leave the set-up with out changes then go back in and do the changes this way you know where you are going and you have learnd more about your CMOS/Bios settings DO NOT MAKE CHANGES IF YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT THEY WILL DO! Some BIOSs will detect the hardware chaing and Make the change in the CMOS on it's own so after you install the new card and drive connect your monitor to the new card and try you maynot need to make the change. that is one of the joys of PnP aka "Bring Your Own BIOS"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back