Help with losing PCI Expansion Slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringinHeat

I have an intel 865 motherboard. I am using a sound card audigy zs and have it plugged into a PCI expansion slot. Each time i have opened my computer my sound card stops working and i have to change the PCI expansion slot to make it work again. After that it stops working on that slot, i am down to my 3rd slot out of 4 to hook my sound card up to since the first two dont work for the sound card anymore. I am totally confused by this situation any help will be appreciated if you need more info pls let me know....

Well, The sound card may be frying evrything it gets into. Is this a new card, or have you had it for a while? Check to see if you can still use those pci slots for anything else, because like I said before, its probably frying the slots. Which means you may need to get a new soundcard, and a new motherboard(but both may be under warrenty, so dont worry to much)

Thanx for your suggestions both the motherboard and the card are pretty old once in the slot the sound card works for a lil while till something happens and i have to open my computer up. I do turn my computer off when i open the case up. I will try installing something into the other pci slot to see if they still work.

i was thinkin if my sound card is frying the slots wont that mean that my sound card would fry as well or are they not one in the same???

It may be something to do with the power supply - Keep in mind though, it's just a stab in the dark but worth concidering.

Regards,

Korrupt

Too much power shouldnt be an issue, unless the mobo is giving unregulated power throught the pci slots..

Do you see any unnatural markings/burns/popped capacitors on the motherboard or on he sound card?
The speakers, do they have their own power source or feed off the sound card?
Do you plug anything into the sound card to record?
Is there a conflict on IRQs and such, or drivers etc?
How did the testing of the pci slots go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back