Help With Sata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright
Specs:
Gigabyte g8i915g Pro
Windows XP

So here's my issue. I am running an IDE Hdd as my master, burner as IDE slave. Now I bought a Maxtor Serial ATA/150 hdd today, 200Gb. I plug it in and start up my computer and it looks liek its goign to start, then flashes a blue screen quickly and reboots. With it plugged in I can't even get to windows! I was told with XP that it would be plug and play, but I am finding out otherwise. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanx

Hmm... you should probably dig around in the BIOS, specifically under "Advanced BIOS Settings" Or something similar to that (It's different with each mobo). I'm not absolutely sure about this, but I think there should be something in there about that.

It could actually be anywhere in the BIOS, or it might be somewhere else altogether, but that would be the first place I'd look.

Look around in there and tell me if you get anywhere.

EDIT: Just don't screw anything up. If you don't know what you're doing, or if you run across something in there you don't know what does, then don't mess with that setting and skip to the next one.

If you mess around too much in your BIOS, this is something similar to what might happen to your computer: :hotouch:

ok. check your bios settings related to hdd and satas, update if necesary.
go to maxtor website and download thier software/info for setting up sata drives or go seagate and download the diskwizard program.. there should be a faq on how to install them correctly.. you may also want to make it your primary boot/windows hdd (option)

K, when I run the software that comes with the Maxtor Hdd, its says that one or more of my BIOS is turned off for the drives. Where do I trun it on, think this might solve my issues, but I've been all through the damn Bios Menu!

Oh by the way, during the begining loading screen where it detects the Hdd's, It shows up as Secondary slave in a fourth position!

Check all the connection into the hds are in nice and tight and well connected to mobo.(prob already done this). But worth a shot.

--EDIT--
Can ur mobo support SATA?

The cables are fine as the BIOS and startup menus show it connected and recognize what it is. My problem I think is with Windows as when it tries to load, it flashes a blue screen with some writing that I cant read and reboots.

Argh, K discwizard and maxtor software require getting windows to boot with the drive attached! As this is my problem can't use them. Wondering why a repair would fix it?

A repair may fix it because it may be a problem with Windows, you never know. The symptons look like it could be that, so try it if you have time, also look at that other thread I linked to.

Ill give it a try thanx!
Someone also recommended reformatting everything, loading windows on the Sata and using the IDE for backup? Any thought on that?

Errr.... reformatting means losing all of your data, if you're okay with that, then go ahead. But on some mobo's it's a pain making Windows boot from the SATA if it also has an IDE drive in there too.

But if you can get around both of these problems, go ahead! It'll boot faster from the SATA (Just barely, but still faster). The SATA is newer, so it should last longer than your current IDE will.

It's simpler to stick to your current plan though.

yes.. true to that recomendation being the fastest and easiest way out... and you can shove all your important stuff into cds/dvds/storage drives (if you can get to win/dos)..

just try getting windows back on its feet, (or unplug the sata for now if it helps) and back up all your stuff through dos or windwos whichever you can get runnign..

on a side note i had sata and ide going on my pc, sata being primary with winxp and the ide haveing win98... although for some strange and wonderful reason i could only get into 98's safe mode.. normal screws up...

but i digress..... :p

If you decide to move/format everything
plug the sata in, making sure its ok n stuff
go back into bios. some mobos have a setting called sata and ide someting..
run the diskwizard boot floopy/cd
when it comes up to what type of drive you want to use it as choose either copy contents and wipe the other one for storage or just format it with the advance seting and stuff then let it do its thing.

Thanx peeps, I got it working. JUst reformatted both, set the IDE to slave, DVD write to master and installed windows on the SATA. Everything runs great!
Thanx for the ideas and time it took you all to help.
Very much Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back