Hercules Digifire 7.1 soundcard review @ TechSpot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Long time, no review huh? Hopefully we should be catching up a bit this month with a few articles we have ready for posting already plus a few others we are still working on... let's start off with Hercules' flagship soundcard, the Digifire 7.1.

Based on the Cirrus Logic CS4624 chipset, the Digifire 7.1 offers sound output for up to 8 channels like its name describes, that can translate in support for Dolby Digital EX decoding (7.1), up to par even with latest offerings from Creative Labs and M-Audio.

[center][/center]

Read the complete review here.

This card is pretty much the same as the Hercules Fortissmo III 7.1 with the exception of this having all the neat bells and whistles like firewire. I had the Herc Fortissmo III and I liked it very much. I bought the one I had after getting fed up with the constant crashing and intrusiveness of my old Audigy 1. I would recommend this card over any of Creatives offerings up to the Audigy 2 line of cards. Supposedly a bit was fixed with the Audigy 2 ZS so I dont really have any kinf of objective opinion on that. The whole thing with Creative and it 24bit deal is kind of a load anyway and it only does it via 2 channels, not all 8 (on the ZS series that is, there arent 8 on the Audigy 1 line). I loved it and it was super cheap too. I paid like $45 for mine form NewEgg. The Digifire should be worth every peeny with all those added goodies.

Hmm, I've been looking for a different new card. Maybe I'll give this one a look. I have an Audigy, but I haven't gotten the constant crashing and intrusiveness cpharrboy had apparently...

Daddy likes. Wow. I got a Soundblaster 5.1+ when it was first out, and that was years ago. i'm in need of a new card from the looks of this baby. they already came out with an Audigy and Audigy 2, but im tired of creative. I want a better company with better support, and a great product like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back