Here's how to make those old console games look better than ever

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Modern televisions are great for watching modern media formats but if you've ever tried some retro gaming with a dated console on a newer set, you're already aware that things turn ugly real quick. Never mind the fact that you can't (effectively) use accessories like Nintendo's Zapper with modern sets - old consoles played on newer TVs simply look like a smeared mess.

Fret not, as the gang over at My Life In Gaming is here to help you get the best picture possible from your retro console. As you'll see in the video, they do a great job of explaining how each type of common cable works and which will give you the best results.

nintendo gaming nes found framemeister

You'll need to spend a bit of money on an external scalar called the XRGB-mini FRAMEMEISTER to get the absolute best image possible but if you're a hardcore retro gamer, the investment will be well worth it.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Nearly all retro gamers are using emulators now where these kinds of problems are virtually unheard of. The few hard-cores who are still running the old consoles probably have a vintage tube TV hooked up. You can also CRT monitors with consoles that feature composite outputs (which I think was nearly all of the 90's and early 00 ones).

Nearly all retro gamers are using emulators now where these kinds of problems are virtually unheard of. The few hard-cores who are still running the old consoles probably have a vintage tube TV hooked up. You can also CRT monitors with consoles that feature composite outputs (which I think was nearly all of the 90's and early 00 ones).
I agree, by using emulators graphics can be enhanced drastically, and true hardcore retro "as it was meant to be played" gamers are going to use retro TVs also, so the appeal of this kind of hardware is pretty limited I'd say.

People do realize that the natural blur effect of older TVs was a way to anti-aliasing the image? If you want to experience lag free truly sharp imaging then use an emulator with Supereagle filter. It'll make the imagine super sharp with modern AA. Just make sure the emulator supports that filter, or if not then find the plugin for it.

I sold my snes and nes years ago, no emulator has really matched the old feel completely.

"Would it not be a lot cheaper to just buy a tv with a scart input?"

North American TVs do not have SCART, and never have. It's much harder for them to play old consoles.

Back