Here's why you should never bend the OnePlus 10 Pro

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Zack Nelson of YouTube channel JerryRigEverything has put a lot of phones through his durability tests, though few of them stood up to punishment as poorly as the OnePlus 10 Pro: it snapped in half.

The OnePlus 10 Pro launched in China last week—it’s not being released in the US—with some impressive specs, including a Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 SoC, a 5,000mAh battery, and a 120Hz refresh rate. But it certainly isn’t the most durable of devices.

Nelson puts the phone through his usual routine, beginning with the scratch test. It performs pretty much as expected, showing lights scratches at level 6 and deeper ones at level 7. And despite the damage to the display, the fingerprint reader still works, which is a good sign.

But things really go wrong in the bend test (6:57 in the video above). Much of the glass on the back of the OnePlus 10 Pro cracks when Nelson applies pressure to it. He doesn’t believe it’s due to the frosted glass as other phones with the same material stand up to punishment better.

The phone does keep working after being bent and cracked. That changes, however, when it’s bent in the opposite direction, which is understandable, given that it snaps in two—though the flashlight somehow stays on.

Nelson pulls apart what it left, revealing that it snapped just above the battery, the top of which lines up with the volume button. Combined with the thinner-than-expected metal exterior surrounding the phone, it makes this one of the worst devices to sit on accidentally.

There is the usual caveat that most people aren’t going to try and bend a phone in two with their hands, but JerryRigEverything does give us an idea of how well they stand up to accidental damage—quite badly, in the case of the OnePlus 10 Pro.

Permalink to story.

I only use iphones and wouldnt consider any Android device but this isnt so bad really. This thing only costs £680 in the UK, which is less than half the price of an iphone 13 pro max (about the same size) its also a lot cheaper than equivalent Samsung devices. This is a budget phone, it wont have the best build quality, CPU or cameras but I think you get quite a lot for little money. Although I think the Xiaomi phones are the best Android phones to buy at the moment, they are ridiculously cheap and can do 98% of what a flagship Samsung can.

I only use iphones and wouldnt consider any Android device but this isnt so bad really. This thing only costs £680 in the UK, which is less than half the price of an iphone 13 pro max (about the same size) its also a lot cheaper than equivalent Samsung devices. This is a budget phone, it wont have the best build quality, CPU or cameras but I think you get quite a lot for little money. Although I think the Xiaomi phones are the best Android phones to buy at the moment, they are ridiculously cheap and can do 98% of what a flagship Samsung can.

Xiaomi is better and cheaper than OnePlus, but like all Chinese phones, you're compromising your privacy to save money.

Xiaomi is better and cheaper than OnePlus, but like all Chinese phones, you're compromising your privacy to save money.
I think thats the case with all Android devices but yes Xiaomi is likely sharing data on their users with the CCP, this isnt really a conspiracy. If I were poorer I would likely care less about this.

Moral of the story? If you get this phone, DON'T put it in your back pocket, then sit down.

I'm still struggling to work out why anyone spends more than £100 for any phone, given that the trend is to send them to landfill and buy something more fashionable every two years.

I'm still struggling to work out why anyone spends more than £100 for any phone, given that the trend is to send them to landfill and buy something more fashionable every two years.
Gee £100 is low though. I mean a basic Xiaomi is £200. Even when I was a teenager in the early 2000s a Nokia 3310 was £150!

I would keep iphones for 4-5 years if I didnt work for a company that gives me a new phone every year. But I do agree its wasteful. I wish device manufacturers would support their products for longer and offer battery replacements for older devices. But they wouldnt make any money doing that. Apple is the best, with devices getting 5+ years of support and replacement parts being in abundance, even for older devices. But yeah it could be better.

I think thats the case with all Android devices but yes Xiaomi is likely sharing data on their users with the CCP, this isnt really a conspiracy. If I were poorer I would likely care less about this.
A conspiracy would be to suggest Apple does as well?

I literally don't know a single person that updates there phone every year or even 2 years. The phones now powerful 5 years would be the minimum I'll expect from S21. I have plenty of friends rocking iPhone 6s. My wife is on iPhone X and has zero need to update. These forums convey a false impression of the market as one where everyone just updates $1K+ phones every year. Those people are not the majority..

Back