Hi, video card broke, overall system slowdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

geno2k3

Hi, my geforce 4 mx420 broke and i had to remove it from my system. Once i installed the onboard video, i noticed a big slowdown in everything, closing windows had the effect of closing blinds. It takes extra long to load winamp, firefox, and other simple applications. Can the overall system slowdown be caused by not having a video card? Or is it something else. We ran a virus scan and there were no viruses. Back when i had my video card, the computer was fast, was able to play games, have winamp in the backround while playing games, load multiple windows at a time. Now i can barley run 1 application.

CPU SPECS:
Intel Celeron D 3.2ghz
2gb of pc2700 ram.
Onboard Video: Sg3 Unichrome Pro 32mb

Im planning on getting a video card from my brother, Geforce 6800. Im sure this would help, but will it help the overall slowness of the computer?

Thanks, Geno.

geno2k3 said:
Hi, my geforce 4 mx420 broke and i had to remove it from my system. Once i installed the onboard video, i noticed a big slowdown in everything, closing windows had the effect of closing blinds. It takes extra long to load winamp, firefox, and other simple applications. Can the overall system slowdown be caused by not having a video card? Or is it something else. We ran a virus scan and there were no viruses. Back when i had my video card, the computer was fast, was able to play games, have winamp in the backround while playing games, load multiple windows at a time. Now i can barley run 1 application.

CPU SPECS:
Intel Celeron D 3.2ghz
2gb of pc2700 ram.
Onboard Video: Sg3 Unichrome Pro 32mb

Im planning on getting a video card from my brother, Geforce 6800. Im sure this would help, but will it help the overall slowness of the computer?

Thanks, Geno.

Slowdowns on programs can be due to reverting to a *crappy* video card. Now all of te graphics it has to render is relied on more by the cpu now. Also, the Celeron D CPU isn't what you would call a "performance" processor either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back