Hiding behind a partition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

This is my first time..so thanks to all those who are reading and to those who will reply.

Easy peesy one for ya'll

I have a computer with three hard drives.
One for OS
One for SOftware
One for Media
Recently I tried to install a new OS system. I disconnected the Osftware Hard Drive but left the OS and the Media Hardrive connected up for the new install of the new OS.

Aft I went throught he install process Inoticed that the Media Drive which is 400GB big is only showing as 127 GB free of 127 GB. I think it has something to do with the partitions. Maybe I have accidently partitioned this hard rive and now I can not see the large amount of media files store in there. HOw can I access these files?

Any takers on this one would be great.

God bless you all for helping out,

Many thanks

Woof! Woof!

HOw to enable LBA

Hello Jobeard,
thanks for the reply. much appreciated.

Just wnat to let you know.

When i reinstlled the OS it was XP.
Then I updated top vista now on same day. how do i ctivate LBA support on vista?

thanks
DirtyDog368

You won't need to do it for Vista, and you shouldn't need to do it in the BIOS if your other OS saw its full size fine.

What likely happened is you installed XP pre-SP1 and it didn't handle above 127 gigs out of the box. If you only saw it as 127 during the install process that is perfectly normal. Did you actually install the OS to this drive though? If not, there is no problem at all, and it should show up fine from inside the OS.

In any case, if you updated to Vista in a hurry after seeing the 127 gig you shouldn't have. What OS did you upgrade? The original one, or the one you just recently installed. And what drives did they go to?

You really didn't give clear enough information on what you did and whether the 127 thing even is an issue outside of the install process.

Hello All,

This is my first time..so thanks to all those who are reading and to those who will reply.

Easy peesy one for ya'll

I have a computer with three hard drives.
One for OS
One for SOftware
One for Media
Recently I tried to install a new OS system. I disconnected the Osftware Hard Drive but left the OS and the Media Hardrive connected up for the new install of the new OS.

Aft I went throught he install process Inoticed that the Media Drive which is 400GB big is only showing as 127 GB free of 127 GB. I think it has something to do with the partitions. Maybe I have accidently partitioned this hard rive and now I can not see the large amount of media files store in there. HOw can I access these files?

Any takers on this one would be great.

God bless you all for helping out,

Many thanks

Woof! Woof!

Are any SATA? Did you update the BIOS, Chipset Drivers? The HDD itself ususally comes with a CD that will fix that 127GB problem.

Guys,,thanks all for the information and help. as requested here is more details as to the sequnce of evens
1- Initially running XP SP3
2- having problems stating up so reinstalled xp.
3- I installed the new xp NO SP yet to OS drive
4- then noticed Media drive showing 1257gb free of 127 gb
5-then i decided to installed vista but still had same problem.

I have an is7 - g (intel i865 - ICH5) Mother Borad
BIOS version 6.00PG

judging from what I understand when i reinstalled XP with no service pack the limit of 127GB alllowed. but now with vista i can see that it reads the full size on the HDD but how do i access the files that I cant see. man i wish i just disconnected the the HDD and just left the OS HDD when i reinstalled then i woudl not have this problem.

Tht the way i did it when i changed my mother board from asus to abit.

cheers guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back