Hijack This - automated analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I put it to the test. Here's it's interpretation of a hjt thread howard dealt with not long ago, it was located here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic51669.html
Here's what the automated analysis says:
http://www.internetinspiration.co.uk/hijack this-Automated analysis.htm
:unch: I think howard wins this round, but it's still a useful tool, and a really good idea. I was actually thinking about an automated analyser for hjt logs earlier today, wondering if it would work, but I was just thinking of one that would read the first hjt log posted in any thread, and automatically say:

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and follow the instructions in the order they are given.

Post a fresh HJT log, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard
:haha:

LOL. that would be easy. It would only have to detect 016 entries, ewido, smitfraud, vundo, and a few of the files stated in the how to remove thread :p

The other infamous one is www.hijackthis.de, which I have used quite regularly to make life easier in analysing logs. It should be noted though that these things are never perfect. Even the one I've mentioned above gives somewhat incorrect ratings on some files - purely because there are people who don't know what they are talking about using it and giving it incorrect info (like for a DLL of the MSN toolbar, as one example).

There's no effective and complete replacement for someone who knows what they are doing I'm afraid.

Edit: It's not another one. It's the same one! The site originally posted (which paranoid guy compared to Howards advice) is actually (possibly - they may have a legit agreement) ripped off from hijackthis.de - without looking at the page source, it appears to be an iframe.

You`re quite right Spike.

The site is genuine enough.

As spike says, it is a useful tool, but that`s all. Anybody who relies on it 100% is asking for trouble.

A lot of the newer infections aren`t even recognised as such.

By all means, use it as a rough guide, the operative word being rough, but don`t take it`s results as gospel.

HijackThis can be quite dangerous in the wrong hands. I`d advise anybody who`s not 100% sure what they are doing with HJT, to leave well alone.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back