Hisense introduces 65-inch 4K HDR gaming TV with 240Hz refresh rate and AMD FreeSync Premium

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? We’ve been seeing TVs become more monitor-like for a few years now, and a newly announced product from Hisense continues that trend by offering both a 240Hz refresh rate and AMD FreeSync Premium. It's also comparatively well priced—in China, at least.

Hisense has announced the 65-inch 4K Gaming TV Ace 2023 television. VideoCardz notes that it features a 240Hz refresh rate panel and 240Hz MEMC (Motion Estimation, Motion Compensation), along with full-spec HDMI 2.1 48Gbps, VRR (Variable Refresh Rate), and AMD FreeSync Premium. Hisense says it also comes with a 2.7ms response time.

While the TV supports 4K@120Hz for getting the most from games on the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, it can also display 240Hz refresh rates, though this will require a PC with a beefy graphics card and playing a game at 1080p or lower.

The Gaming TV Ace 2023 also packs a quad-core ARM Cortex A73 processor, 4GB of RAM, and 32GB of internal storage, while the ULED panel offers 1.07 billion colors, a Delta-E of 1.5, and 178° viewing angles. Of the three HDMI ports, only one is HDMI 2.1, and you get WiFi 6 and an ethernet port.

Rounding off the features are a pair of 12W speakers that support Dolby Atmos, as well as HDR (Dolby Vision) support.

Hisense's TV is now available in China for around 5,499 RMB, which is a very reasonable $865. No word when, or if, it will launch in other regions.

If the Hisense Gaming TV Ace 2023 doesn't reach outside of China and you desperately want to game on a TV instead of a monitor, we still like the LG C1 48-inch---just be careful of any burn-in from that OLED screen.

Permalink to story.

True 10-bit color? Delta-E of 1.5? Sub 3ms Response time (without insane overshoot)? Under $1000?

(X) Doubt

That's a lot to be asking for such a cheap set, either that or every other TV/display manufacturer has been fleecing us even more than they already are.

True 10-bit color? Delta-E of 1.5? Sub 3ms Response time (without insane overshoot)? Under $1000?

(X) Doubt

That's a lot to be asking for such a cheap set, either that or every other TV/display manufacturer has been fleecing us even more than they already are.
Displays are way too pricey.
What was the price tag for a 4K display @ 120+ hz two years ago? I think around 1250 eur for 32 inch ips. With 1040 eur I got an 55 OLED with 120 hz refresh rate... Plus it also functions as a TV

This is just nonsense. I don't think they understand the basics of computer games and refresh rates...

Going above 120Hz is to reduce the motion artifacts, which can only be seen when sitting right in front of the monitor. When a screen is as huge as this one, the value of 240Hz refresh rate is gone.

Unlike monitors, when the player's eyes are in close distance, you cannot pick up motion distortions from a 120Hz TV while sitting some 5+ feet away from it.

I picked up a Hisense 55" U88G late last year on sale and have been nothing but impressed with the build quality, picture quality and feature set, it was a notable upgrade form the LG panel I previously was using. The only draw back is off viewing angle but for my usage this was a none issue.

I've yet to try out the 120Hz VRR feature yet as I use it as a TV and not a computer monitor, but one day I will give it a try.

What the hell is "AMD Freesync Premium"? I bought a "Freesync 2 HDR" 144hz VA monitor and this works with my RTX 2080 but only from 38hz or higher. Below 38hz the frames do not sync. I did not know this. I did a bit more research and Gsync means every single frame is synced from 0-max but most freesync displays do not sync below 40-50hz. In practise this means that if you have a weak GPU that cant hit the required fps for freesync, you dont get it. Making it almost pointless. If you are gaming at 30fps you practically cant use freesync as the vast majority of freesync monitors do not sync that low. And thats when you need it the most!

Whats annoying is that there is no distinction. It can be quite difficult to find out what the freesync threshold for your monitor actually is. My second monitor is a 4K60 affair that only syncs the framerates at 48hz or higher. So thats only 12hz below the max of 60, its really not much help at all.

Please review the Alienware qd oled new ultrawide monitor that supposedly has 0.1 ms of response times and c2 tv.

What the hell is "AMD Freesync Premium"? I bought a "Freesync 2 HDR" 144hz VA monitor and this works with my RTX 2080 but only from 38hz or higher. Below 38hz the frames do not sync. I did not know this. I did a bit more research and Gsync means every single frame is synced from 0-max but most freesync displays do not sync below 40-50hz. In practise this means that if you have a weak GPU that cant hit the required fps for freesync, you dont get it. Making it almost pointless. If you are gaming at 30fps you practically cant use freesync as the vast majority of freesync monitors do not sync that low. And thats when you need it the most!

Whats annoying is that there is no distinction. It can be quite difficult to find out what the freesync threshold for your monitor actually is. My second monitor is a 4K60 affair that only syncs the framerates at 48hz or higher. So thats only 12hz below the max of 60, its really not much help at all.

That's one of my main complaints about Freesync; many monitors simply do not have wide VRR ranges. GSync is better in that regard (since you have an external module doing it, so every display should act more or less the same). HDMI VRR generally offers wide ranges (generally down to 20Hz even for 120Hz native displays) but we've only had a few implementations so far (mostly LG TVs).

But yes, when you purchase a VRR compatible display, CHECK THE VRR RANGE.

My first thought was, which GPU allows 240 FPS at 4K resolution? There are some games that will run at this sort of FPS, especially older or indie titles, but generally, most falls short quite significantly.

Who the hell cares about 240hz refresh if its not in 4k res? all latest gen consoles are 4k now... I dont see the sales pitch here. Even TV streaming is mainly 4k.

Who the hell cares about 240hz refresh if its not in 4k res? all latest gen consoles are 4k now... I dont see the sales pitch here. Even TV streaming is mainly 4k.
Mainly due to nothing being capable of actually pushing a 4K resolution at 240Hz, console may output at 4K but they sure as heck aren't pushing over 120Hz, even 120Hz is a stretch. 240Hz 1080p is actually achievable and a realistically attainable figure, not to mention affordable. Remember this TV cost less than $1000 USD equivalent.

Back