Hkcmd Module has stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdms96825

For the last sveral weeks I keep getting this message whenever I reboot. Here is what the description says:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: hkcmd.exe
Application Version: 7.14.10.1437
Application Timestamp: 47b0984d
Fault Module Name: Secur32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18272
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a3667bc
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000021b3
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 7fc3
Additional Information 2: b340b829bfef5ecbce008d352ac8fc73
Additional Information 3: 3f81
Additional Information 4: 361018d5bd4b35ffe61de54fac6636c4

What can I do about this? Is there some kind of driver I can re-install? I am also getting a message, though not as often, "Desktop Manager has stopped working"

What's up with that?

With all the unemployment in the world, why have these all stopped working??!!

Thanks.

Recovery Console

Boot into Recovery Console and delete 'hkcmd.exe'. It's not important to Windows, or anything.

Superty, hasn't school started yet??!

dms, this isn't something for the recovery console!

"hkcmd.exe" is Intel's "extreme" grahics hot key interceptor. If you never use the Intel hotkeys, you can go to Control Panel > Intel Extreme Graphics > Hot Keys and turn them off.

"secur32.dll" is a library which contains Windows Security functions.

Did you recently update the driver for the Hot Keys? If Yes, it's not being accepted. Go to the website and download the driver instead of using the CD.

And as noted, if you don't use this feature, uninstall it.

Please let us know. It's the lesser of having to use the recovery console- which would not have been something I would have suggested.

I disabled the hotkeys as instructed and re-booted. Same problem. I went to Intel's site and it said that I had a generic Intel GM965 but that I had to contact Lenovo about updating any drivers. I am also still getting the "Desktop Window Manager has stopped working"

<snip>
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: hkcmd.exe
Application Version: 7.14.10.1437
Application Timestamp: 47b0984d
Fault Module Name: Secur32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18272
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a3667bc
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000021b3
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
<snip>

If i'm right, the versions above tells me you're still running Vista SP1? If so, you should back up your stuff and then install SP2 (and and all other updates) to see if it can fix your problems.

That is interesting LookinAround, because I had a similar problem several months ago as my computer crashed while trying to download SP2. In my update history it shows this:

Windows Vista SP2 Cancelled 6/30/09
Windows Vista SP2 Failed 7/1/09
Windows Vista SP2 Successful 7/3/09
Windows Vista SP2 Failed 9/16/09

It tried to download it again so I hid it since it looks like it was "successful" on July 3. How can I tell if it is actually installed?

Windows Vista SP2 Successful 7/3/09

Windows Vista SP2 Failed 9/16/09

Of course it's going to fail the next time- it's already showing as a successful download.

How can I tell if it is actually installed?

Go to the Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs> be sure to check 'Show Updates'> look for updates with the following numbers:

1.System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (KB947821)
2.Install this update to enable future updates to install successfully on all editions of Windows Vista. (KB955430)
3.Service Pack2 for Vista (KB948465)

I did see notice that the Service Packs do not come in auto-downloads and must be downloaded from the MS site.

For problem with the install: Regarding the update: Look in the Cause section here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948343/

Does that help? Looks like you had to get 2 updates to be ready for the third, which is SP2!

I'd first check the "System's" point-of-view as to what it thinks it is running...

To see your Windows version and current SP level running (from Window's perspective) click Control Panel->System and Maintenance-> System

Bobbye and LookinAround,

Thanks for continuing to work with me. Based on your excellent instructions, here is what I found:

1. I see where KB955430 was installed on 4/30/09.
2. I do not see where KB947821 or KB948465 were ever installed.
3. From Window's perspective, it looks as though SP1 is running!

Please advise what to do next.
Thanks.

Hi dms96960

I don't run Vista, myself, so i can't provide specific steps.. but here's what i'd suggest as a general approach
  1. Protect against the worst. Backup all your stuff now if you haven't yet. Use a tool like DriverMax to backup all your drivers to a folder on removable media
  2. Since Windows System display says you're still running SP1, I'd start with Windows Update. Be sure to unhide any prior updates.
  3. Keep re-running Windows update and look through all updates it suggests each time (including optional updates). Make sure they all get installed OK
  4. Keep re-running Windows update till it finally says no more updates
  5. Once Windows update is happy with all the installs (i.e. it doesn't suggest anything else) then move on to installing SP2

/* edit */
Here;s some links you might find helpful as well
Which Updates Should I Install?
Windows Update

Delete those files!

Oops. I thought it was a blue screen. Anyways, hunt down and delete these files: hkcmd.exe and dwm.exe. None of these files are important to Windows Vista's operation. But disable Aero if it's enabled.

When I run Windows Update it keeps telling me that
Windows is up to date -- No new important updates are available for your computer!!

I tried to change the name of "dwm" but it would not allow me to change it. I didn't want to just delete it. What should I do?

Desktop Window Manager

Dwm.exe is the Desktop Window Manager. It's just some fancy thing they added to enable transparency and possibly Aero.

Oops. I thought it was a blue screen. Anyways, hunt down and delete these files: hkcmd.exe and dwm.exe. None of these files are important to Windows Vista's operation. But disable Aero if it's enabled.

NO!!!!!! Simply deleting things you don't like or understand can be the shortest distance between your computer and Blue screen crashes!!!

As for dwm. That's the Windows Desktop Manager.

I tried to change the name of "dwm" but it would not allow me to change it. I didn't want to just delete it. What should I do?

You can't rename it because it's running and in use! It's a Windows Service. See here to look at your Windows services in Vista, find Windows Desktop Manager service and then disable it. then Reboot.

Thanks guys for all your assistance. I re-named hkcmd to oldhkcmd and that got rid of that problem (so far). I then disabled the Windows Desktop Manager and rebooted and no problem (so far).

But, I am curious -- what disadvantage is there by disabling Windows Desktop Manager?

No big disadvantage to disable WDM. see here

but the general (and safe) approach for stopping executables that are automatically started

1) Determine for sure it;s ok to prevent the executable from starting (i.e. is it a critical Windows program? if so, stopping it could result in you getting blue screen crashes)
2) Find where it's being started (they're most often found among in Windows Startups or Windows Services)
3) Then one can disable it via the Windows interface so it won't try starting any longer

Otherwise (e.g. for hkcmd) simply deleting or renaming something, Windows is still trying to start it and but failing cause file isn't found. Which, for hkcmd case, isn't causing problems but you may find new event log entries because of the startup failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back