Home Edition ---> Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajb924

I just updated my windows from WIN XP home edition to Professional edition. Now i have a small problem. I can only keep the display settings on 800 by 600 pixels, when im trying to increase it to 1600 by 1200 pixels its telling me VIDEO MODE NOT SUPPORTED. It didnt had this problem before what can i do because its annoying me having all icons, fonts all big and websites pages not fitting in the screen

Thanks for any Help!!

How big is your monitor? The message you are recieving is telling you that your monitor cannot support that resolution.

1600x1200 is out of range for most monitors 17" or less and some 19" monitors.

Theory: If you did not have your video drivers installed with Windows XP Home, then XP allows you to interlace the image at higher resolutions and supports full color with its VGA drivers although it is very slow. So it will show a 1600x1200 image on a 1024x768 monitor, for example.

Perhaps when you installed Windows XP Professional, it had the drivers for your video card and now you have video acceleration. It will no longer interlace a 1600x1200 image on a smaller monitor, but video acceleration is much, much faster and makes the whole computer feel much more responsive.

If this isn't the case, it may be worthwhile to update your drivers and perhaps your monitor INF drivers. You can download these from your manufacturer's website.

Originally posted by Rick
How big is your monitor? The message you are recieving is telling you that your monitor cannot support that resolution.

1600x1200 is out of range for most monitors 17" or less and some 19" monitors.

Theory: If you did not have your video drivers installed with Windows XP Home, then XP allows you to interlace the image at higher resolutions and supports full color with its VGA drivers although it is very slow. So it will show a 1600x1200 image on a 1024x768 monitor, for example.

Perhaps when you installed Windows XP Professional, it had the drivers for your video card and now you have video acceleration. It will no longer interlace a 1600x1200 image on a smaller monitor, but video acceleration is much, much faster and makes the whole computer feel much more responsive.

If this isn't the case, it may be worthwhile to update your drivers and perhaps your monitor INF drivers. You can download these from your manufacturer's website.

thanks for your help
my monitor is 15inch TFT and now since i had installed WIN XP PROF. its only accepting 800 by 600 only. Either now because im used to small icons and big screen or i dont know but like this it look so boring

15 inch TFT monitors normally max out at 1024*768, so I'm not suprised you can't select 1600*1200, hence that "VIDEO MODE NOT SUPPORTED" message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back