home network routers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting ready to set up a home network to share my internet connection between multiple computers. I have been looking at a couple different brands of routers, and was wondering if anybody had any comments about them. I have been looking at Linksys, D-Link, and Netgear brands (basically because thats all our local computer shops offer, and I don't have a ton of money). Do you have any comments or suggestions about those brands? I won't be carrying a heavy load, I don't do gaming or anything, just basic internet surfing, email etc.... Thanks for the help.

Hi

If I was you I would go look in the local newspaper and get the cheapest one you can find. At least that's what I did and I have had no problems in 2 years sharing 4 computers on a network. I have a Belkin router(with 5 ports). That was the one that was on sale at the time I wanted to set up my network. Any of the ones you mentioned are fine. I think networks fail more because someone doesn't know how to set them up correctly or doesn't maintain them. The router shouldn't be a problem.

The ones Yeldarb mentioned are excellent brands. Of course, cheaper stuff does work too, but it can also just not work depending on your luck.

Any of D-Link, Netgear, Linksys will do. If you want to go wireless, then I recommend getting something with two removable antennas and wireless-a (b and g too of course) support for more flexibility.

My son purchased a Belkin wireless-G and I setup his wifi LAN network with security.
I recommend it as it was clear (at least to me) on what was being configured
and intuitive as HOW-TO.

The WiFi can be disabled to restrict the net to hardwired access only.

I was a big fan of Linksys Routers and Switches, but Belkin new line of Wireless G Routers offer a lot more for the money and work just as good as the Linksys.

Right now you can get 4-port Switch/Wirless Belkin Router G (54) for only $34.95 that's pretty much the price on the street you can get lower to almost cost at $29.

I just finished added wireless network into an in-law house using only Belkin using PCMICA, Desktop Card Wireless G and everything is working so good that I getting on the band wagon.

If you don't want to go wireless you can go wired and get full networking speed. But you'll need LAN cables for each PC as for going wireless you don't have to buy any LAN cables for each PC.

Brands:

Linksys
Netgear
Dlink
Belkin

There are other brands you can find online they're cheaper like Halkins or something like that, but that works just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back