home networking help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate39

I have two questions. 1. I just set up my old computer to network with my main one. I seem to be able to access the older one (via board) from my main computer (939) but when I try to access the other way around I get a message that says not enough server storage to process this command. I have little experience with networking so please help.

2. Is there a program that allows you to go into another computer on a network and basically see it on your desktop and use its programs? thanks

Can you tell us which OS you are using, the last time I saw a message about server storage, it was either that the service pack needing reinstalling, on NT or that the RPC isnt running on 2K.

As for question 2: yes there are several programs such as PCAnywhere, Dameware Mini Remote (my fave) Netop etc .

Each has its merits and faults and so is a personal choice, do a google on the subject

Jud

thanks, I am using xp home on the main system and xp pro on the other one.

Both have xp 2 and fully updated

try logging on home with same user name and pass as the pro
xp pro is trying to take over as the main server???
M$ says to (not a quote)
Resolution:
1) The registry value IRPstackSize may be not explicitly present. To increase the value of the parameter, go to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ LanmanServer\Parameters. If the key is not present, choose Add Value in the Registry Editor. The Value Name should be IRPStackSize and the Data Type is REG_DWORD.
2) Remove any unnecessary entries from this value in the registry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\NullSessionPipes.
3) If the machine has a non-zero PagedPoolSize in the Registry, you need to re-set it by going to HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management and double-click on PagedPoolSize and set to 0.

Well, that's quite a post, but I think that it is beyond what I can do.

Has anyone heard of VNC? it is a program that is supposed to allow you to remote control from another computer.

xp pro has this built in and it will work with xp home but you will need to follow instructions on making a client copy that will run on the xp home machine
I have played with this and it was ok
I like my KVM better
if you are within 10 feet of both machines KVM is the way to go
it can be used for further distances but that can cost a lot more $$$$
have you tried to setup a admin in home that matchs tha admin in pro
have pro running and then log on in home with that user
it may then allow connection

Samstoned, I fixed it by going into registry, lanmanserver and irpstacksize and double clicking changing the box to decimal and then upping the value by three, rebooted and it work! Turns out it is something that happens with Norton Antivirus where it changes the value to too small to handle the file sharing (at least that is the best I can understand it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back