Homeworld Remastered Collection Benchmarked, Performance Review

Steve

Staff member

homeworld remastered collection performance review amd intel nvidia gpu cpu homeworld homeworld 2 homeworld remastered collection

Having been a fan of real-time strategy games since the mid-90s, there aren't many titles in the genre that I haven't played. The original Command & Conquer had me hooked and I also spent my share of hours with Dune and Warcraft releases. At the time, RTS games were so similar in look and feel that it was relatively easy to move between them.

That changed in 1999 with the arrival 'Homeworld', the first RTS that allowed players to move through three-dimensional space. Built on the custom Homeworld engine, Relic Entertainment's 3D RTS was praised for its mind-blowing graphics, gameplay and other features, winning both IGN and PC Gamer's game of the year award in 1999.

Given Homeworld's success, and an equally well-received sequel in 2003, it's been too long since we've heard about the series. Although Homeworld fans haven't been lucky enough to receive a brand new game, they are able to relive the magic at high resolutions with a full graphical makeover. The remastered versions have high-res textures and models, new visual effects, recreated cinematic scenes, and support for HD, Ultra HD and 4K resolutions.

Read the complete article.

I vaguely remember installing Homeworld back in the day and quickly realizing that a 3D RTS in empty space really didn't interest me. What *would* interest me is an MMO or even a single-player strategy/sandbox of this type. Something like EVE Online, but actually good. A single player experience would be fine if the AI was suitably advanced and relied on smarts rather than cheating. I tried X3 and literally couldn't get beyond the very first tutorial part. All I was supposed to do was fly into a beam of light. Every time I got near it I was teleported away from it. Quality programming, right there (LOL).

A dual thread aware only game in 2015. We have these 1000s $ CPUs yet they only ise 2 threads >_>

Lol, I like how they don't put the 4790K, as with the clock speed and with 2 threads usage I think it will easily overcome the broadwell ones.

Hi Steve
Good hardware review as always. I noticed in the last few games you are not testing at high or medium graphic settings (such as Dragon Age). I, personally, find those results informative as many of these AAA titles push post-processing, shadows, draw distance to absurd levels in their "Ultra" settings that seems better designed to sell more video cards then make a game playable for most PC gamers.

Man, I remember those graphics. They were definitely mind blowing at the time.

I loved that game! Definitely going to buy this remastered version!

Happy to see things like that happening. Wish we had the old DOS based Master of Magic remastered. I know Age of Wonders 3 is very similar, but still...
Also X-COM: UFO Defense would deserve a remastered version! ;-)

Cheers
Peter

There is/are remastered C&C. Granted its fan made but the quality is top and with working and alive multiplayer. Just head over to CnCNet. For a "remaster" one of either mods: The Dawn of the Tiberium Age, Return Of The Dawn, The Red Alert.

Back