Homeworld Remastered: The return of a game that's almost perfect

Jos

Staff

homeworld return game perfect

Playing through Homeworld again after all these years is weird. Games are forever changing. Usually, they're advancing. They progress not just in terms of visuals, but design. Shooters, for example, change the way you take cover and recover damage, while stealth games have developed smoother controls and give the player a greater awareness of what's going on around them.

If you played a shooter from 1999 and then a shooter from 2015, you'd notice the differences immediately, not just in how they looked but how they played, how smartly they were designed. 

Homeworld was released in 1999. Play its remastered edition in 2015, though, and you'd be forgiven for thinking it was a brand new video game. Almost everything about it — and I'm not talking about its new visuals — feels fresh.

Read the complete article.

Well this article just about seals it for me, I'm getting it now. The sci-fi genre as a whole has gone down hill in recent years. I guess there just isn't that big of an interest in it. I do remember homeworld having an amazing story to it, but I've forgotten enough of it over the years I'm sure it'll feel like I'm playing it for the first time again.

I have both and never made it past the third or fourth missions. Maybe I'll give it another go. Free space 1 and 2 was a space game that really pulled me in , I completed both of them

Picked it up on release and am loving it! Still working my way through the first one and I agree it needs a speed up button but other than that agree with whats been said.. it feels like a new game thats just been released. Can't wait to get onto the 2nd one as never played that before.

Yeah I've been on the fence for getting HWR, but I think I'll have to get it for myself as a gift... It looks amazing and I could use a good RTS for when I need breaks from other games.

I did play Sins of a Solar Empire quite a bit, but the AI for combat was rather lacking, mostly because of it's fight or flight mechanic. If the opposing forces in a system were not equal, the lesser AI (or in most cases the AI against you) would simply turn around and run away. If you were quick about it, you could literally get a fleet to bounce back and forth between two systems. The AI, like in Supreme Commander 2, did not really get any smarter at higher difficulties, it just got better resource generation, and it's not the same as racing against tactics. Offworld Resource Base (and old favorite) was better in that regards. At least Supreme Commander 2's AI was better than the first Supreme Commander, though I much preferred the economy system in the first.

Of course I never really played online against people in any of those games because I'd be wiping the floor with my face due to pacing or not going the most efficient route (but I want the preeeetty beam weapons!) and paying for it with frustration.

Now if they could only remaster Starlancer/Freelancer... oh wait they basically are~

Back