Hong Kong authorities seize 300 Nvidia CMP mining cards from a fishing boat

jsilva

What just happened? Due to the ongoing GPU mining craze, Chinese smugglers seem to have turned their attention to the new Nvidia CMP mining cards. On a recent operation, Hong Kong customs confiscated a sizeable amount of goods from a fishing boat, including what seems to be 300 Nvidia CMP 30HX mining cards.

It's hard to determine with certainty which cards were confiscated as they lack the stickers and branding we are used to seeing. This video shows they do not have any video outputs, leading us to believe these are indeed Nvidia CMP series cards.

The release of the CMP 30HX and 40HX was scheduled for March, but only the former has been found on sale. Since no CMP 40HX cards have been seen on the wild so far, the confiscated cards are most likely the former.

The Chinese smugglers were loading a fish boat when the authorities noticed the suspicious activity near the Hong Kong International Airport. After engaging the smugglers, the officers followed the group who escaped towards China waters using a high-speed boat.

Despite the group's escape, Hong Kong authorities apprehended a considerable amount of smuggled products from the fishing boat. Besides the 300 CMP mining cards, they also confiscated exotic food, gadgets, and smartphones. The tech products by themselves were valued at HK$2 million, or about $257,000.

It's not strange to see mining cards being smuggled considering how much they cost right now. With the appreciation of cryptocurrency and increasing demand for mining GPUs, things will only tend to get worse before it gets better.

If you are new to mining and interested in learning how a GPU works for that purpose right now, you might want to check our quick guide on the best mining GPUs in 2021.

Image credit: TVB News

Permalink to story.

With all the news about video cards I'm gonna have to take extra extra extra care of my RX580 by down clocking or capping it to 40-60FPS while playing at 1080p with my fingers crossed and blow it out with an air can every few weeks.

PC gaming will be a recession so to speak. It's gonna drag for a while................................

With all the news about video cards I'm gonna have to take extra extra extra care of my RX580 by down clocking or capping it to 40-60FPS while playing at 1080p with my fingers crossed and blow it out with an air can every few weeks.

PC gaming will be a recession so to speak. It's gonna drag for a while................................
I thought the same. Underclocked, changer thermal paste....and it died after a week. It's funny and sad at the same time.

No.... the pandemic is.... mining is just an excuse...

Yes, manufacturing of all products across the globe is down and we are paying a premium for anything that is not a necessity.

Try remodeling or building a home right now, material costs like lumber are up over 500%. Because of the capacity limits in a place like a factory, they cant make anything fast enough to meet demand.

Yes, manufacturing of all products across the globe is down and we are paying a premium for anything that is not a necessity.

Try remodeling or building a home right now, material costs like lumber are up over 500%. Because of the capacity limits in a place like a factory, they cant make anything fast enough to meet demand.

Not an issue in countries that locked down properly. Most are at full capacity now. Speaking from experiance.

Not an issue in countries that locked down properly. Most are at full capacity now. Speaking from experiance.
Depends on what industry you are in, it takes a long time for existing stock to be used up and for a material that is not usually in high demand for it to start to disappear if not immediately replenished.

I work in construction (home building, renovation, decks and fences, etc) in Western Canada, and lumber costs have about doubled currently and continue to go upwards, with building materials for both outside and inside things from simple things like vinyl siding and epoxy's to faucets and railing being doubled and experiencing shortages.

Literally today we were supposed to finish re-siding a house and we can't get the material now (we need like two boxes of this specific colour to complete it), and we may not get a new shipment from the USA until September because this particular brand won't be sending that type till then.

So its not just that some countries stayed open for the most part and could ramp up, it's also demand,. Canada is going through a construction and renovation boom due to that saved money from the pandemic, and we literally can't get enough stuff do it, either domestically and importing it.

Last edited:
Funny the pandemic hasn't slowed cigarette and booze production. Hasn't slowed pizza and beer delivery either.
Hasn't even slowed vaccine production, lol.
While I understand you’re being humorous... it actually has... well, not the delivery of pizzas - but the manufacture of ingredients FOR pizzas... everything has been affected.

And the effects for much of it will be felt for months or even years to come...

"It's hard to determine with certainty which cards were confiscated as they lack the stickers and branding we are used to seeing...This video shows they do not have any video outputs, leading us to believe these are indeed Nvidia CMP series cards."

Mining video cards without outputs aren't new they've been around a while. They could be any video card. They could be RX580's or anything made in the last 10 years. There is no way to form an opinion about what GPU these video cards have with so little information.

"It's hard to determine with certainty which cards were confiscated as they lack the stickers and branding we are used to seeing...This video shows they do not have any video outputs, leading us to believe these are indeed Nvidia CMP series cards."

Mining video cards without outputs aren't new they've been around a while. They could be any video card. They could be RX580's or anything made in the last 10 years. There is no way to form an opinion about what GPU these video cards have with so little information.
While the branding / stickers might have been different, they still said “Nvidia” I assume...

This stupid Crypto-ponzischeme mining is literally ruining PC gaming for so many people right now.

It hasn't only just been right now.

This has been going on for over a decade now, its just no longer an AMD problem.

HD5850's were once a hot item for miners, and were always low on stock. Same goes for the HD7870. During a bitcoin bull market GPU demand is always high. When Bitcoin goes back into a Bear Market demand for mining cards will drop.

Now it's time to do an inspection of every fishing boat to see what else is being smuggled, shut them down for a few weeks and see where the trafficking goes so the rest of us can get some damn gpu's!!!

While I understand you’re being humorous... it actually has... well, not the delivery of pizzas - but the manufacture of ingredients FOR pizzas... everything has been affected.

And the effects for much of it will be felt for months or even years to come...
I recall a story about pizza chains actually stock piling some frozen ingredients at the very start of the pandemic. Someone at those restaurants planned ahead better that most politicians.

I thought the same. Underclocked, changer thermal paste....and it died after a week. It's funny and sad at the same time.

When I wrote this I had a WINDOWS 10 update and chose to install after work. I turn on my pc and my screen looked like a 1990's TV with that weird white static look and thought OMG my card crapped out!!!! restarted it again................... WINDOWS UPDATE is installing! LOL! The PC is fine now. I almost had a heart attack.

After so much delaying I hated it that WINDOWS forces the update after so many times.

It's time for governments around the world to implement a full ban on all cryptocurrency. Time to put an end to this nonsense once and for all.

What are you talking about? These are mining cards. You know... The ones that so many of you wanted to be out there, so actual graphics cards become available... How does the smuggling of mining cards ruin PC gaming...?
Right, right. And for every "mining" card they make there's one less graphics card they can make. This is like complaining that Ford only makes trucks, so they shift half their production to sedans. So now there's half as many trucks and the problem has not been solved.

Right, right. And for every "mining" card they make there's one less graphics card they can make. This is like complaining that Ford only makes trucks, so they shift half their production to sedans. So now there's half as many trucks and the problem has not been solved.
Why is mining worse that gaming?
You can spend the cryptocurrency you mine... what can you do with your gaming hours?

Once again, if it wasn’t for the pandemic, there’d be plenty of cards for everyone...

It's time for governments around the world to implement a full ban on all cryptocurrency. Time to put an end to this nonsense once and for all.
Uhuh... Not gonna happen. Do you know how many times China has already banned crypto? Where are the most miners at...? Exactly... China.

Timestamped;

Really? Care to name these countries that aren't affected?
Australia, New Zealand. Some others as well. I replied to a message stated all manufacturing of all products across the world. This seemed a very American/mass manufacturing country centric message.

Yes there are a few issues with supply chains, but that does not affect all manufacturing across all the world. Food, drinks and steel are easy ones to demonstrate are not affected. You want vacines, max capacity being manufactured. Etc.

Factories/businesses are generally operating at capacity now as well, now the panic is over.

Back