Hooking PC to TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

smdm1965

trying to hook my laptop to the tv and all i get is a message that rgb is not getting a signal. i am using a vga cable and looked in the tv book and it says use the rgb input selection. any hints

What is your system specifications?
(for some reason it's not showing up when I click on "System specs").

hp laptop windows xp professional service pack 3, intel 2 duo cpu
using the vga output on the side of the computer

hewlett packard professional notebook, windows xp professional. using the vga adapter on the side of the notebook.
thanks

When you say 'vga adapter' are you referring to the expansion port? Are you using an all-in-one media cable? If not, it may be the best way to go.

i took my laptop to radio shack and asked them what the best way to hook my pc to the tv was and they sold me this vga cable and showed me the slot on the side of my laptop to hook it to and said to hook the other end up to my tv. they sold me a audio cable also to plug in the headphone slot and said to plug the other end into my surround sound reciever

Unless someone else can step in and pull an answer out of a hat, I'll need the model number of your computer. I'm assuming that if it's a HP Professional, it should have an expansion port. The media cable that plugs into it will handle the audio/video and even your power supply and a USB jack is all part of it. That's what I used to hook up my friends HP to their TV, it works awesome.

Sorry, I stepped out for a bit. I can't promise I can answer right away, but I'll try my best:)
If you look underneath your laptop, there should be a tag with the model # on it.

I looked up your model # on the HP site and found you don't have the expansion port. What I would try first is exchanging the cable, it may be defective.

When Iset one up using the expansion port, it was as easy as 'plug and play', but that's not to say that something has been preset that I don't know about. Have you asked the rep at Radio Shack about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back