Horizon Forbidden West comes to PC on March 21, requires 150GB of storage and 16GB of RAM

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: PlayStation 5 owners hailed Horizon Forbidden West as one of the console's more visually impressive titles – a reputation that garnered some interest in seeing the PC version's system requirements. While not the lightest recent release, the open-world post-apocalyptic sequel isn't as demanding as some might have expected.

The most demanding requirement of Horizon Forbidden West's PC port is 150GB of storage space. The 16GB RAM minimum is also slightly unusual, but the game recommends no more than that, and anyone with at least recent mid-range hardware should face little trouble running the game.

Unsurprisingly, the recommendation of a GeForce RTX 3060 or Radeon RX 5700 to play the title at native 1080p represents a generational leap over its predecessor – Horizon Zero Dawn. However, a 3070 or RX 6800 should manage 60fps at native 1440p, while Guerrilla Games suggests a 4080 or 7900 XT for 4K gameplay. The specifications don't account for super-resolution, which might push each listed GPU up by one rank. As usual for Sony's PC conversions, the game supports FSR, XeSS, DLSS upscaling and frame generation, and DLAA.

Click to enlarge

On the lower end of the hardware spectrum, porting studio Nixxes confirmed that it has optimized Forbidden West for handheld devices, implying that it will be Steam Deck verified at launch and run well on the Asus ROG Ally. Handheld support likely explains the minimum 30fps 720p preset, which for desktops lists a GTX 1650 or RX 5500XT with just 4GB of VRAM.

Tweakable visual settings include textures, level of detail, shadows, water, terrain, field of view, motion blur, radial blur, lens flares, bloom, vignette, and more. Support for 21:1, 32:9, and 48:9 (tri-monitor) ultra-wide aspect ratios has become standard from Sony, as has Dual Sense controller feedback. Additionally, the port includes DirectStorage support.

Click to enlarge

Pre-orders for Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition are already open for $59.99. All copies include the Burning Shores expansion pack, which adds a new area and quests to the main game. A digital soundtrack, art book, and digital comic also come standard. Meanwhile, pre-purchases come with exclusive resources and cosmetics. The game launches on Steam and the Epic Games Store on March 21.

In related news, sources have told XboxEra co-founder and known leaker Nick Baker that information regarding a PC port of Ghost of Tsushima might emerge very soon.

Permalink to story.

My PC easily meets the 1440p requirements. I wonder if the 5800X + 6800XT will need FSR to maintain 60fps for 1% lows at 1440p high settings. Can't wait for the reviews.

Would be interesting to see how good it looks on PC for the kind of hardware required. The game looks great on PS5 even with dated hardware and with some sort of upscaling applied to it.

Played this on PS5. Decent gameplay and graphics but worst main character ever.
Yeahhh, after playing the first one, this one was a writeoff for me. Looks like nice graphics though.

The first was fun enough until halfway, then I just rushed to finish the story because it got annoying (and the writing wasn't all that great).

Yeahhh, after playing the first one, this one was a writeoff for me. Looks like nice graphics though.

The first was fun enough until halfway, then I just rushed to finish the story because it got annoying (and the writing wasn't all that great).
Oh then you really won't like the second one. The writing, acting and story are all weak. On top of that they really went out of their way to make it woke to the point that it's so obvious that it really takes you out of the game.
But it does have some good qualities in there as well.

Imagine thinking that because you and lots of people liked a thing, that no one could have a negative opinion about it, and it must be fake (to protect your ego) 😂
I could not care less if people misses out on masterpiece 🤣
Reviews speak for themselves.

Who to trust, a bunch of pro reviewers or a random person on a forum 🤣

The summation? Unless we have to only trust paid trolls?🤔

I bet people here did not play the first - https://opencritic.com/game/2862/horizon-zero-dawn

The second is just as good if not better - https://opencritic.com/game/12361/horizon-forbidden-west
The original was one of the reasons I bought a Playstation. I finished and thought it was a very good game. Graphics, animations and world building were very well done. These things hold true in the second as well but I liked the original more in some ways. Aloy is annoying and the constant "you're the hero of the world" stuff was ridiculous imo. On top of that the second one had issues with shimmering in the graphics due to the sharpening technique that was used. It was not a masterpiece imo. It was well done in a lot of ways but masterpiece is a bit much I think. I may pick it up when it goes on sale and give it another go. It would without a doubt be better at 4k/60+.
BUT I believe Dragon's Dogma comes out the same week and that would take priority for sure.

Last edited:

The writing of the first one REALLY took me out of the experience. It has a terrible combo of Mass Effect syndrome with it's characters movements and interactions, and writing that is high school OC fanfiction tier.

From what I have seen the second game is worse in this regard, so I'll be skipping it.

The writing of the first one REALLY took me out of the experience. It has a terrible combo of Mass Effect syndrome with it's characters movements and interactions, and writing that is high school OC fanfiction tier.

From what I have seen the second game is worse in this regard, so I'll be skipping it.
The writing is worse in every way in the second one. It's really horrid....constant reminder from every NPC that you're the "hero who saved the planet". It's really stupid....I think you're referred to as "the savior" if I'm not mistaken. It's so cringe it's not even funny.

And yet you felt fragile enough in your own opinion of it that you had to call out those "random person(s) on a forum".

Your actions betray your words lol

The original was one of the reasons I bought a Playstation. I finished and thought it was a very good game. Graphics, animations and world building were very well done. These things hold true in the second as well but I liked the original more in some ways. Aloy is annoying and the constant "you're the hero of the world" stuff was ridiculous imo. On top of that the second one had issues with shimmering in the graphics due to the sharpening technique that was used. It was not a masterpiece imo. It was well done in a lot of ways but masterpiece is a bit much I think. I may pick it up when it goes on sale and give it another go. It would without a doubt be better at 4k/60+.
BUT I believe Dragon's Dogma comes out the same week and that would take priority for sure.
First one was better for me too, looked insane on my OLED TV.

DD2 looks to run 30 fps with dips on PS5 and XSX for now. Will be a PC play for me.

Seems my PC can run it just fine, which is nice. That's assuming of course, few or no issues post release. Of curiosity is how the 4080 is matched with a 7900XT in the top requirement (and no mention of RT/DLSS/FSR either) Is that a VRAM cap thing?
Kind of reinforces why I balked at spending £500+ more for a 4080 over a 7900XTX (for similarly premium models etc) when my previous 6800XT had already been hitting around 16Gb used in some games at 3440x1440 nm 4K.

Anyway, to play it on PC I'd have to buy it but tbh I've been cutting back my average annual gaming spend for a while now. Otoh it's part of the PS5 sub I've already paid for so I'll check it out there. In fact it's been installed for months, I just haven't got around to it yet. Fwiw while I enjoyed the first game I got burned out after around 80 hours in two years ago and haven't returned to finish it yet (as opposed to, for example, Days Gone being completed with 120 hours in a month)

Seems my PC can run it just fine, which is nice. That's assuming of course, few or no issues post release. Of curiosity is how the 4080 is matched with a 7900XT in the top requirement (and no mention of RT/DLSS/FSR either) Is that a VRAM cap thing?
Kind of reinforces why I balked at spending £500+ more for a 4080 over a 7900XTX (for similarly premium models etc) when my previous 6800XT had already been hitting around 16Gb used in some games at 3440x1440 nm 4K.

Anyway, to play it on PC I'd have to buy it but tbh I've been cutting back my average annual gaming spend for a while now. Otoh it's part of the PS5 sub I've already paid for so I'll check it out there. In fact it's been installed for months, I just haven't got around to it yet. Fwiw while I enjoyed the first game I got burned out after around 80 hours in two years ago and haven't returned to finish it yet (as opposed to, for example, Days Gone being completed with 120 hours in a month)
PC requirements are pulled out of the *** in most cases. Weird CPU and GPU requirements with no logic behind the recommendations.

4080 will beat 7900XT for sure, the first one ran fine on both brands but Nvidia was slightly faster overall. Game looked great but was not really that demanding.

VRAM allocation has nothing to do with actual requirement. Many engines allocate 80-90% of VRAM. This game is made for consoles and won't need a beefy PC unless port is trash but the first was a great port.

Paid trolls? Based on what objective evidence?
True but my comment was less subjective then the one I was commenting too. Maybe paid trolls was harsh but anyone that attempts to mitigate claims of end user sharing their experience as not as important than the paid professional reviewers just might as well be imo. Questions?
Update: Hence summation part to make it least subjective.

Back