Horizon: Zero Dawn will reportedly come to PC in 2020

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: The PlayStation 4 has some fantastic exclusives that many PC gamers eye with envy, but it seems one of these, Horizon: Zero Dawn, could be coming to our favorite platform later this year.

Having sold over 10 million units since release, Horizon is one of the best-selling PS4 games of all time. According to Kotaku’s Jason Schreier, who cites three people familiar with Sony’s plans, it will stop being exclusive to the PlayStation and arrive on PCs sometime during 2020.

Launched in February 2017, the open-world action RPG is set in a post-apocalyptic version of America filled with robotic dinosaurs. Like Bloodborne and 2018’s God of War, Horizon spurred many into buying a PlayStation 4, helping Sony’s machine become the best-selling console of the decade.

We've heard previous rumors about Horizon coming to the PC—Russian YouTuber Anton Logvinov, who predicted Death Stranding’s expansion to the platform, said the game would arrive on computers next month and that an announcement would arrive soon. While other console exclusives have come to the PC in the past, Horizon: Zero Dawn would be the first major exclusive from a Sony-owned studio—Guerrilla Games—to do so.

Arriving on the PC will bring the usual benefits, the biggest being the removal of the frame-rate cap. With improved visuals and HDR support, Horizon still looks fantastic on the PlayStation Pro, but it remains locked at 30 fps—expect that to be removed on the PC version. We’ll also likely see updated graphics and mod support.

Hopefully, we’ll see more Sony exclusives hit the PC in future; God of War would certainly be appreciated.

Permalink to story.

Death Stranding uses the same Decima engine that was designed for PS4 by a Sony studio- Guerilla Games. As stated, Kojima productions has been working with it to bring Death Stranding to PC later this year.

So the engine has already been ported across for that title. It makes sense to bring across Horizon Zero Dawn if a lot of the engine work has already been done.

It's now an older game (three years in February) but looks beautiful even on original PS4 hardware, better on PS4 Pro and would stretch it's legs impressively on a modern PC. Definitely one of the best looking and playing console games of this generation. Polish it up and release the definitive version for PC.

I have to say the way this trend is going PC is winning big time. Microsoft committed to bringing all their major titles onto PC, along with game pass. Now we have stuff like Death Stranding and possibly a headline first party Sony exclusive reaching the platform.

A model for the future, even for Sony? What a victory that would be for PC gaming.

After nearly 50 years of the console/PC cold war we may be close to reunification. Germany would be proud.

Last edited:
Huh, this is one of the games that I intended to get for my PS4, but keep forgetting (or not finding the time).

Would totally buy it on PC (though, I don't know if for a full AAA price considering it's age).

If it happens, then it'll be a great day for PC Gamers who haven't experienced it. God of War on the PC though!? If that happens, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

"Arriving on the PC will bring the usual benefits" and the usual woes. How many times have we had a terrible port? But if it works well on PC and uncaps the refresh rate, I'd buy it (after it drops from the AAA price).

Hey guys let's spend all this money on advertising and then release our game on the worlds largest platform when everyone has forgotten about it!

I was interested in this game when it was released. Now? Buying it goes the back of my long to do queue, if I ever reach the end lol.

Cool, that would mean I'll finally play it. I bought it on PS4 but couldn't get very far due to the weird camera issues and the low FPS.

I did like the game, but I wouldn't play it on PC. Old, outdated, done. Move on.

If you want to do older games, go older, 4k remaster of the conflict series, 4 player co-op fun. Just make it smoother too, that game was clunky.

I got this for my PS4 Pro during a good sale. Looks very nice and plays good too. The only downside is the PS4 Pro's fans can get loud at certain situations, like moving through lush vegetations. Just like when playing with Red Dead Redemption 2.

Even at 30fps, these games already look smooth to me. I might get them for the PC if they are on dirt-cheap sale...say, @ 75% off minimum...maybe in a year or 2, just to avoid hearing the PS4 Pro's fans noises. I don't like fan noises when gaming.

I got this for my PS4 Pro during a good sale. Looks very nice and plays good too. The only downside is the PS4 Pro's fans can get loud at certain situations, like moving through lush vegetations. Just like when playing with Red Dead Redemption 2.

Even at 30fps, these games already look smooth to me. I might get them for the PC if they are on dirt-cheap sale...say, @ 75% off minimum...maybe in a year or 2, just to avoid hearing the PS4 Pro's fans noises. I don't like fan noises when gaming.

My PS4 sounds like a Jet Engine, and for the most part always has. I think it even ramps up just in RDR2's menu, and God of Wars.
Took it apart, cleaned the fan out, which wasn't that bad anyways, quiet for an hour, then back to reminiscing about the times it clearly was part of a Boeing.

I just turn the game up though and try and drown it out, and eventually it is just white noise and disappears into the background. But I do agree, they suck, and it's annoying.

I only discovered this game existed a few days ago and have been watching theBradRad's play-through on youtube, looks fantastic. I'm a PC gamer but games like God of War 4, Last of US, Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn, have me wanting to get a PS5. The fact HZD is coming to PC is great, but plenty of those other titles won't. God of War looks stunning even on PS4 Pro at 1080, imagine @ 4K. Would love a remastered version for PS5 then God of War 5 announced for 2021.

I only discovered this game existed a few days ago and have been watching theBradRad's play-through on youtube, looks fantastic. I'm a PC gamer but games like God of War 4, Last of US, Days Gone, Horizon Zero Dawn, have me wanting to get a PS5. The fact HZD is coming to PC is great, but plenty of those other titles won't. God of War looks stunning even on PS4 Pro at 1080, imagine @ 4K. Would love a remastered version for PS5 then God of War 5 announced for 2021.
It seems there is an emulator called PCSX4 that can play GOW4 on the PC at up to 4K, 16xAA and unlocked refresh rates. If you want to go down that route.

Back