Hot Wheels is now accepting pre-orders for a remote-controlled Tesla Cybertruck

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Tesla’s futuristic Cybertruck will soon be available to drivers of any age. Hot Wheels parent company Mattel on Friday launched pre-orders for remote-controlled versions of Tesla’s Cybertruck in two sizes.

To craft the RCs, the Hot Wheels team met with Cybertruck chief designer Franz von Holzhausen. They studied the real-life Cybertruck from every angle and even made three-dimensional models of the truck’s exoskeleton to ensure that no details were glossed over. Even the interior is getting the Hot Wheels treatment.

The 1:10 scale model features all-wheel drive, “chill” and “sport” modes, functional headlights and taillights, a manually operated tonneau cover and a manually operated telescopic tailgate / loading ramp. It packs a 9.9V, 3300mAh rechargeable battery.

The best part of the whole thing, however, is the promo video. At the end, we see a Skeletor action figure throwing a ball bearing at the Cybertruck’s windows, a recreation of the failed on-stage demo from a few months back. The larger of the two even includes a “reusable cracked window vinyl sticker.” If nothing else, at least Tesla executives have a sense of humor.

A track-compatible 1:64 scale version of the iconic pickup will command just $20 while a hobby grade 1:10 scale variant is priced at $400. Both are expected to ship in December 2020.

Permalink to story.

This may turn out to be the only version to be released, if Tesla goes under.

Somehow, I do not see anything genius in the design of this thing.

And I've looked "from every angle", LOL.

This may turn out to be the only version to be released, if Tesla goes under.
Based on what? I only see exponential growth in overall deliveries [Giga Freemont + Giga Shanghai + Giga Berlin + Giga Texas] for the next 5 years.
2019: 365k (Giga Freemont only)
2020: 600k (Giga Freemont + Giga Shangai at 65% production capacity)
2021: 1.2m (Giga Freemont + Giga Shangai at full production capacity + Giga Berlin at ~30% PC)
2022: 1.8m (Giga Freemont + Giga Shangai FPC + Giga Berlin at ~80% + Giga Texas at ~25% PC)
2023: 2.3m (Giga Freemont + Giga Shangai FPC + Giga Berlin FPC + Giga Texas at ~70% PC)
2024: one or two additional non-announced Gigafactories entering the equation

You know how people **** on Apple fans saying if Apple took a **** and slapped their logo on it people will line up to buy it? This is exactly the same except it became a reality.

You know how people **** on Apple fans saying if Apple took a **** and slapped their logo on it people will line up to buy it? This is exactly the same except it became a reality.

Yes, they did exactly that, they made probably the most versatile and reliable vehicle for the average joe for every day use.
It is exactly the same as apple bringing out a phone with the same crappy design every year and people still buy it.

Yes, they did exactly that, they made probably the most versatile and reliable vehicle for the average joe for every day use.
It is exactly the same as apple bringing out a phone with the same crappy design every year and people still buy it.
They did? It's not even out yet so you just proved my point perfectly.

They did? It's not even out yet so you just proved my point perfectly.

Lol, show me a car on the same price range with the same performance and reliability. You can't.

You are just sitting on that "let's hate tesla" band wagon. Denying Tesla is the best car manufacturer today.

Lol, show me a car on the same price range with the same performance and reliability. You can't.

You are just sitting on that "let's hate tesla" band wagon. Denying Tesla is the best car manufacturer today.
How can you claim the car is reliable when it's not even out yet? Lmaoo.

I wonder if a CD of that god awful attempt at "electronic heavy metal" music in the demo is included with either model, or is it an optional at extra cost?

Also, if appropriate scale human figures will be available, so that you can pretend the "Auto-Pilot" failed, and run them down in cold blood... :eek: :rolleyes:

...[ ]...You are just sitting on that "let's hate tesla" band wagon. Denying Tesla is the best car manufacturer today.
Please spare us the, "I'm secretly in love with Elon Musk,(drool) Tesla is the best thing since sliced bread", dogma.

Not that I don't think I'd be shouted down when I say this, but IMO, the 1963 Corvette "Stingray" split window coupe was the best car ever made.

That's back when "men were men", and real gasoline had lead in it

Last edited:
Please spare us the, "I'm secretly in love with Elon Musk,(drool) Tesla is the best thing since sliced bread", dogma.

Not that I don't think I'd be shouted down when I say this, but IMO, the 1963 Corvette "Stingray" split window coupe was the best car ever made.

That's back when "men were men", and real gasoline had lead in it
Ok boomer

How can you claim the car is reliable when it's not even out yet? Lmaoo.
Show my another everyday car that can take on small arms fire and when your beloved petrol becomes $7 a litre how it would still be worth running such an outdated product.

Ok boomer...[ ]....
What a terrible thing to call somebody. You're just so fabulously in tune with changing times, how can the rest of us possibly keep up?

How many miles have you put on your "Cybertruck", to be able to attest to its reliability?

None? Oh, I see.

Do you even own a car?

Last edited:
Show my another everyday car that can take on small arms fire and when your beloved petrol becomes $7 a litre how it would still be worth running such an outdated product.
That's not what makes a car reliable. You can't even say why the truck is reliable so now you go for the petrol price angle which you know nothing about clearly. Also, that trucks windows broke after Musk threw a little ball at it. I would definitely not use that truck as a getaway vehicle after I rob a bank.

Now I would suggest you seek professional help, I'm done gracing you with my time.

What a terrible thing to call somebody. You're just so fabulously in tune with changing times, how can the rest of us possibly keep up?

How many miles have you put on your "Cybertruck", to be able to attest to its reliability?

None? Oh, I see.

Do you even own a car?
I can promise you any car you drive today or in the "old" days would not be anywhere near as reliable or durable as a cybertruck, keep it moving old man. Get with the times or sit down.

I can promise you any car you drive today or in the "old" days would not be anywhere near as reliable or durable as a cybertruck, keep it moving old man. Get with the times or sit down.
You never did answer my question, "do you even own a car"?

Or do you just travel in the hot air balloon that is your opinion?

And make that '63 Stingray, a real pretty pure white one for me, with a bright red leather interior.

You never did answer my question, "do you even own a car"?

Or do you just travel in the hot air balloon that is your opinion?

And make that '63 Stingray, a real pretty pure white one for me, with a bright red leather interior.
Yes, I have owned multiple cars. Right now I own a 95 Diesel Corolla, probably one of the most reliable cars on the planet, obviously toyota pickups and 4x4 are more reliable but petrol prices are double here even after currency conversion so would rather something that uses less petrol (none if possible). I would gladly trade it in for a cybertruck. Even if I had a lambo I'd trade that thing in for one as well. Doesn't matter about cost to me, just reliability.

Before that I had a 2008 Triton, that thing ate petrol up like it was nothing. A good $120 a week it cost me for barely any driving. My regretful sale was a 2013 Toyota 86. Was pretty damn good on petrol (even for the expensive stuff) but I needed something with more space in the end for all my work gear. If I end up making some good trades at the end of the year I might buy another one. Also had a couple other cars but they were more of a stepping stone to something I enjoyed more.

Maybe I become a millionaire over night and buy a house with tesla roof and wall and plug my cybertruck into it. That's the end game at least. Unless something better comes along.

Yes, I have owned multiple cars. Right now I own a 95 Diesel Corolla, probably one of the most reliable cars on the planet, obviously toyota pickups and 4x4 are more reliable but petrol prices are double here even after currency conversion so would rather something that uses less petrol (none if possible). I would gladly trade it in for a cybertruck. Even if I had a lambo I'd trade that thing in for one as well. Doesn't matter about cost to me, just reliability.

Before that I had a 2008 Triton, that thing ate petrol up like it was nothing. A good $120 a week it cost me for barely any driving. My regretful sale was a 2013 Toyota 86. Was pretty damn good on petrol (even for the expensive stuff) but I needed something with more space in the end for all my work gear. If I end up making some good trades at the end of the year I might buy another one. Also had a couple other cars but they were more of a stepping stone to something I enjoyed more.

Maybe I become a millionaire over night and buy a house with tesla roof and wall and plug my cybertruck into it. That's the end game at least. Unless something better comes along.
Yes, but AFAIK you Brits have never had reasonable "petrol" prices. Say what you like about we "greedy Americans", but gas is only $2.50 USD a gallon, ATM..

I still don't think yo're entitled to speak on the reliability of the cyber truck, as it's not released yet. You can certainly speculate based on Tesla's other vehicles, but not state it as a matter of fact.

BTW, I've known 2 people who owned 12 cylinder Jaguar coupes, and they both said it was the worst car they ever owned.

Considering the fact I only drive 3000 miles a year tops, one of those fuelie Stingrays wouldn't break me. Nor would I be a danger to the planet even at 10 (tops) MPG.

Although, one in "showroom condition", is worth in excess of 100,000 USD. Now that's a problem.

Whenever I can, I drive my 1991 750 Honda "Nighthawk". Which, all things considered, sucks with respect to gas mileage. (33 avg. city). It's just that it's got a long warm up period, (air cooled & gravity feed fuel), Leave too soon, and you bog out of stall at every stop sign.

Last edited:
Back