How can I change public ip on 2Wire 3800HGV-B?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have looked everywhere and i cannot find a way to change the static ip on the gateway itself. I need to change it because some kid with a botnet loves to hit my ip, and i have no way to defend against it, because it is a static ip. I have called att, they wont change it. i seem to remember a while back when i had a gateway, and the public ip would change with every reboot of the gateway.
what can i do?

1) Do you have dynamic or static IP service from ATT? If really do have have static IP from ATT then they are the only ones who assign it.. and they are the only ones who control it. Nothing you can do if they don't do it

2) What kind of problems? The router firewall should block any access/attacks

/* edit */
And you are aware you pay "extra" to ATT for a static IP?

Get the IP address of the person trying to access your network and find their ISP. Report them and that should take care of it. If ATT won't give you a new IP you can try and escalate the issue but chances are most people who work there don't know what an IP is.

Have you checked your router to see if you can block an IP range or address? That may be another option.

well, i cannot block a ddos attack, as the flooding comes from numerous ips, and to block all of the ip's...would be near impossible.
and why would i pay more for static than dynamic? what is the difference besides an automatically assigned ip rather than a permanently set ip

I have looked everywhere and i cannot find a way to change the static ip on the gateway itself. I need to change it because some kid with a botnet loves to hit my ip, and i have no way to defend against it, because it is a static ip. I have called att, they wont change it. i seem to remember a while back when i had a gateway, and the public ip would change with every reboot of the gateway.
what can i do?

LOL I don't know why you'd pay for a static IP. I asked/checked 'cuz that's what you kept saying in your original post! ;)

As to other questions, i'll respond later when i get back home... Time to run out for food! yummmmmm..............

well i am paying for the highest tier connection possible, and this is what the connection type says in the gateway status
Broadband Link Type Built in modem - VDSL
Connection Type Direct IP (DHCP or Static)

The "highest tier" would likely just mean you're paying for higher speeds

You'd have to order (and pay extra) for a static IP address. If you're not 100% sure which you have, best to call your ISP to check (tho it sounds like you're probably dynamic

You might want to start by look through this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back