How can I create recovery discs for programs (not OS)?

I bought a laptop through Best Buy that came pre-installed with Office 2010 and an activation code or whatever. But it didn't have installation discs, and they nearly insisted that I pay to have Geek Squad to it, along with a bunch of other stuff I didn't need. Is there any way to create a recovery disc of the program, not just the files? If Geek Squad can do it, there must be a DIY method out there, right?

I'm Running Windows 7 with Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010.

You should be able to find the download link on microsofts site, although I think the only one that's available is 2007. When you're finished installing you can enter your product key to activate it. Just burn the files on to a disk to keep. As long as you have a product key there's nothing wrong with you keeping a copy. I did this for a laptop some years back. You'd have to make an iso back up though. They may have changed the process because of piracy.

Only other way I can think of getting it is a p2p program but that has its own risks.

Issues for Windows Programs
  1. where they are installed
  2. getting the license key
  3. restoring the registry
that last one is the killer; a registry is a point in time and getting ALL the keys
necessary for a given program is not obvious or trivial.

restoring that point in time registry on another system can be fatal if not done with care.

Back