How can I get my PC working again?

I am no longer able to boot my Windows 10 Dell XPS 15 PC and get a blue screen saying "The digital signature for this file couldn't be verified", along with error code 0xc0000428.

I have tried booting to a USB device in order to access the recovery tools and have tried:

1) Running Startup Repair - which didn't work, I just get a message saying "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC"
2) Disabling driver signature enforcement using the command bcdedit /set testsigning on - but I get "The boot configuration data store could not be opened. The requested system device cannot be found".
3) Running bootrec /fixMBR and /fixBoot in the command prompt - which were both completed successfully
4) Running /rebuildBCD in the command prompt - which said:

Total identified Windows installations: 1 [1] C:\Windows Add installation to
boot list? Yes(Y)/No(N)/All(A)

I entered "Y" and the the following message appeared:​

The requested system device cannot be found

Nonetheless, upon booting, the system still shows the same blue screen. I don't think there are any major issues with the hard drive as I was able to back my files up onto to an external device. I also ran the system diagnostics and no hardware errors were detected.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do next? Are there any more command prompt tests I can try?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In your shoes, I would download a fresh copy of Windows 10 and create bootable installation media. Glad you have backup (2 copies, yes?). Time for a clean install.

Back