How can I speed up this slow machine ? ( In dire need of help ! )

Status
Not open for further replies.

PainIzReal

In dire need of help !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello all i need some help, i was wondering if somebody knows if there are drivers that i can implement to a Gateway 366 to make it run faster, or any other ideas i could use but kep in mind i have limited cash to buy anything so i am searching for a different route
any help will be greatly appriciated thank you...

The latest drivers for your mobo and system devices would help also adware and virus scanning might be in order. Fill out your profile and elaborate on your specific problem for better help.

Welcome to TS.

I have a Gateway 366 where could i find updates for it money is low so right now cheaper is better, and you are from Lorain? i use to live in Vermilion.Did for 12 years you know any of the Browns family?

Without a lot of money there's little you can do to speed that box up. If you had money I'd recommend more RAM. since you dont I'd recommend clearing out temp files, uninstalling old and unused programs, defragging the HD, and setting a fixed pagefile (swapfile) of 1.5-2.5 the size of your ram. (and also what Godataloss said; driver updates, adaware, spybot)

There's no need to have 3000 "!" in the thread title. It just makes it more annoying & while you're at it the title could be a little more explicit.;)

To all who have replied thank you but i don't think i will be coming here anymore i thought forums were to post what concerns we had not to get bashed by people for what you write!

p.s. is that better?

If you can't even bother your ar$e to answer people's questions, try to give smart answers and refuse to fill out your PC-data, I think it is better indeed not to come back here.

Your right i was having a bad day , sorry if I offended anybody i don't have all info that why it is not all filled out yet , and i barely got a minute to spare with all that i am doing was just asking for a few quick tips to see what I could do. You can believe that if i new that a ! would cause this much trouble i wouldn't have even posted one of them.

So here Formally i Apologize to all i offened, all i was looking for was some help.

P.S. RealBlackStuff: What question did i not answer?

You can start by running AdAware & Spy-Bot. That should remove any eventual spyware installed on your system.

After that, if you're using 98/ME/XP, launch msconfig from the Start Menu -> Run & try to remove any useless or suspect entries.

Install the Intel Application Accelerator & see if that helps any.

PS. Which operating system are you using ?

When you run msconfig, you could even try removing all the entries (except for a firewall and AV, maybe) and see if that helps, then add more until you get all the apps you want to have running on startup. There are no system entries in msconfig, so you can disable everything safely (usually).

Thanks i have implemented Spybot and a few other drivers this thing is running up to top speed that it can now, i am waiting on a check so i can order my new processor and LOL, I only had 64MB
oof RAM so i am gonna order two stick at 128Mb see what she'll do then Thanks everbody. =):grinthumb

Welcome fellow Ohioan PainIzReal!!!;) I left that out of my original post (quite a few folks forgetting their manners around here). Please read the TS forum guide-lines as I'm sure that there is something in there about multiple !'s being an affront to the Nerd-Gods.

If you're gonna buy a processor and ram, you are only ~$150 away from a new machine- google shuttle bare bones systems-they have integrated audio and video- and would be easier to upgrade in the future- just a thought.

I had a Mrs. Brown in high school, but she lived in amherst. Love Vermilion- gonna go to the Red Clay on the River tomorrow- its where Mcgarvey's used to be.

Thats kewl man i think i will go up there too. That is bout not far from where i live i pass it everyday if you do go i will be the one who probably out of place with my baggy clothes and my Diamond earrings i cna't help but to BLING it's in my soul.LOL

p.s. not sure that i will be able to make it though i have to go to Southern Ohio to get my stuff i am moving to Vermilion insted of Amsterdam ttyl =)

Please use the Private Messaging feature when you wish to discuss off-topic matters.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back