how can i totally fry my mother board?

B_L_T_W

Abouta year ago i went into future shop, having no experience what so ever with computers and asked for a pc good for gaming for about $1000.00 So this guy goes oh check this baby out, it has "agp" a 633 processor and "built in sound. What he told me was i wouldn't need to upgrade it for like two years and it can handle fps games no probs. (check out the m/b here ..http://e4all.freeservers.com/mobos/cognac.html )

Well for the first couple of months i was happy enough, not knowing any better. But as i started to buy games you could see what i discovered, he sold me less than state of the art.. Over priced planned obsolescenceto be precise. Any ways he also pushed a three year warranty on it, so seeing that everyone i talked to about this e-machine (my fierce gaming rig which will never need to be upraded) the more they tell me i was totally ripped. Guess i shouldn't have told him i was green! i decided it was time to rip them off too, So i know some people will be like "your fault for not knowing any better", but hopefully i will find some folk who say "stick it the man" and tell me how i can destroy my motherboard. i have a 3 yr "no questions asked warranty, but i think pouring gas and torching it might not work, so can anyone tell me how i can totally fry my mother board Thanx:blackeye:

p.s. and oh ya, after taxexs and extended warranty it cost about 1200.

What you are asking to do is unethical. Someone helping you do this act is guilty by association.

Consider; you got what you paid for @ the time. A budget pc for around 1000 bucks. You could have done worse. Know you know better.

I think you'd be better off selling your e-machine & building a new rig from scratch.

I think you ought to check out some of the great systems that the guys have here and put one together. If you want some one to do it for you then check out the sponsors on the 3ds home page for tested bundled motherboards and order your tested system from them.

As for your old computer. If you itemize deductions on your taxes you can donate the computer to your favorite charity and take the deduction. If you don't itemize then you can sell the computer. Then mabe you can donate the sales and turn a bad into a good. Just a thought as I'm feeling there is a little excess hate going round these days.

Dell Inspiron 8100
1.2G, 512Mb ram
ATI RADEON 7500 W/64MbRAM
DREAM MACHINE

p.s. incase you build your own system :

http://gamespot.com/gshw/stories/flat/0,12880,2842650,,00.html

i really don't know why you'd want to destroy your PC. i mean, you won't get a refund if it's dsetroyed, do you? or are you doing it just for fun? :p
anyway, you really don't have to kill your PC. you could just keep it as the secondary system (for data, mp3, LAN games), and build a new one.

consider it the cost of learning, you didn't know better then.
but now you have access to better info (here and other places on the web) rather than destroying a working system use it to plan your next machine. then you can sell it (be honest with the "newbie" you sell it to, it's a low end "beginer" system) or donate it to a school or charity, and take a tax write off.

Even if you do manage to "fry" your PC. Your retailer won't pay a dime out of his pocket to replace it. Each part is covered in a manufacturor's warrantee, and your e-machine also contains seals that when broken, completely void your warrantee.

My advice, calm down, evaluate your situation. Realize that you feel you've been duped, and maybe contact your retailer and tell him your opinion, and work out a deal. There have been several very good suggestions already on what to do with your PC, and if you look into buying a new PC, theres plenty of people here willing to give their input on any system you like, before you buy it.

If all else fails, you can spread the word to all your friends and family that this retailer is a swindler and you can even call the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint.

Try'n to get even by forcing him to replace parts is only going to be more headache's for you in the long run, trust me on this!

Try donating your sysbo/whole computer to a computer class near you...You'll probably even get a tax deduction!

I think Ali makes another valid point. Worst -to-worst they replace the parts w/ the exact replacement for the ones you have now. You won't get upgraded & you'll be w/o your pc for a period of time.
This is a lose-lose situation.

Just list it on Ebay. With a 2 yr warranty remaining on it, you should have no issue selling it for a few hundred dollars. Check it out.

Keep it and use it to run all of your old games etc. (Dos Based etc.) on that won't work on your new gaming rig. Oh and if your building a new one yourself, make sure u get an AGP port.

$1000 is a pretty fair price for a pre built computer. If you only want to pay $1000 for a crazy game computer, you're probably going to have to build it yourself. I suggest looking at pricewatch.com and figuring out how much it would cost you to build a gaming computer with good components. If you want budget PC to run games really well, you'll probably want at least a 1ghz processor, a Gforce 3, a good mother board, fast memory, hard drive, and cd drive. Have you tried just trying to return the computer without breaking it? Maybe if you complained that it's not as good as the sales man said it was they might give you some money back. If not then I second the guy who said sell it on ebay, you can sell anything on ebay, and sometimes you can sell things for a lot more then their worth.

Shock it. Place a metal strip or something conductive on it and then plug it in (Make sure your other components are not connected to the motherboard). Turn your computer on and it should fry.

If you've already had it for so long, there is almost no chance to take it back though. You can probably only get it repaired or replaced.

Ok I wasn't going to be the first person to give out "unethical" suggestions, now I'm not saying you should, but wouldn't it be cool to open the case, put it on its side, and then just dump a big bucket of water in there while it's rinning? I think that would be fun. Or even better, get a really long power chord, a remote turn on switch, and wire some plastic explosives into the board so that on power up it is blown into dust!

I agree with the earlier posts, don't ruin it just because you didn't know what you where buying. Take some lessons from the people here and educate yourself and then when your at the computer store start answering the questions people are asking the sales person before they can answer. Nothing make a sales person madder then telling him he's wrong, then proving he is wrong. Then build yourself a killer rig, Athlon of course, and have some fun.

As stated, if you fry it you will only get the same mobo back(or maybe have to pay an upgrade cost if they can't replace original mobo)
It isn't worth the hassle.
I recently fried every component (except ram&cpu converter card)in my system due to a power surge or brown out. look here
And it aint much fun having to use my mums comp (266 Cyrix with a s3 trio 64)
A lot of us get caught out when we're new to computing( I bought a vanta :blush: ).
Now I use Google when I'm thinking of getting new hard/soft ware.
But frying your mobo won't get you any further.If you want to "stick it to 'em" , shop at another store and give them your hard earned.:)

LMAO everyone is telling him not to burn it and that its inethical for him to fry it just to get back at him, and then good old Jellobones explains to him how to fry it. Beautiful JB :haha: :haha: This made my morning

Anyways, u should keep this monstrous rig as a secondary computer, or use it until you have enough money to build your own rig. That's what i did with my old computer, i didn't get ripped off or anything, but it was time for an upgrade and now i have several computers to use. They come in handy, especially on the RARE occasion that my primary computer is totally screwed up. lol RARE of course, and they wonder where i get my 900 posts from.

PS- as i was leaving the thread i noticed that you live in Vancouver. $1000 canadian can get you about half the stuff as $1000 american, so he may have gotten you the best thing he could have for the money. I go to Vancouver frequently, and i will actually be back there within 2 weeks. Where did you go to get your computer?

Here's the deal

First, I'll make it clear that I work for Gateway. So I sell computers every day.

At the time that you purchased your computer, it sounds like that was a great deal for the price range that you were given. But one of the major flaws of the computer industry is that we are selling product that we can't give ANY kind of concrete useability projections on. People always ask me, how long before a new system will be outdated? It's hard to give an answer, but rule one is that you never ever say something like '3 years, garunteed.' You simply cannot do this, because of the nature of the computer industry. Especially when it comes to games. Also, few sales people know the real deal about hardware and what they are selling their customer. The guys on my sales team are pretty knowledgeable, but if you go somewhere else, you're lucky if you can get anyone to help you. And even if you do, you more than likely know more about computers than they do.

So now that you've seen what can happen if you get the wrong system, do some research before you purchase a new system. And a lot of computer retailers have financing options available to them. If you qualify, take it and get the system you want. Lastly, keep in mind this: the more money you put into a system when you buy it, the less you put into it later.

Hey Ronin..Cool to hear you work for GW..I do as well. I agree with the whole 3 year thing not telling clients that it is a guarantee but I have to say that if someone walks in and is looking at the 500X, 700X or 700XL, part of my sales pitch is that you can expect 3-4 working years out of the computer. Now, its not a guarantee, but it should be expected for the money they are spending.

Now it really depends on what the client is doing with the system, but for the most part we get alot of SMB sales and just people that dont mind spending decent money to get a good all around machine. Granted that if a person walks in looking for a 300LE, Im gonna give them 1 year expectancy and then try to walk them into a 500 Series.

Sometimes they listen, sometimes they dont..

I understand

Your sales line is not all that different from mine.

All that I'm saying is that GW sales people, in my personal experience as a consumer, are the most professional in the field, at least in my part of the country. And that's why I work here. But there are other retail and specality stores where the staff is much less than personable, to be nice.

And sometimes, customers get the wrong idea about what's being said or what's being reccomended, and then take it as 'I got hosed at Computer Palace and they should pay.' It's unaviodable, but it's a communication issue that will exist as long as the inequities of spoken language get in the way.

Re: I understand

Originally posted by Ronin Tetsuro
All that I'm saying is that GW sales people, in my personal experience as a consumer, are the most professional in the field, at least in my part of the country.

Thats a "bold" statement. I wish I could see the same for my part of the country. Phones Sales stealing sales from Country Stores, Country Store service centers fighting with consumers over stupid stuff, advertising a computer that has a 3 week leadtime in hope of stepping the client up 100.00..

Sure GW sales reps are more professional then the Comp USA and BB Sales reps, in my part of the country people can be so rude that sometimes the level of professionalism is low and the GW S/R is no better than anyone else.

Its cool to hear from ya...

Back