How Can I Write A Program & Make Run Via CMD Upon Startup??

Status
Not open for further replies.

damienb

Hey people,

When I plug onto the network at my work office, a small progarm runs on CMD which was written by the IT guy. It basically finds your place on the network, maps the network drive and reconnects to all the office printers and sets the defaut printer.

I want to be able to do a similar thing at home if this is possible. All I want the program to do is set my default printer at home.

The gyt has shown me the program and it written in notepad but I dont know how he gets it to run at startup (as long as you are on the network)?

Can anyone help me?

Damien

It's probably run as part of the login script. It's probably a simple batch file.

does that mean i cant do it at home? obviously i dont have windows server at home. i have a wireless network which the printer is on though.

if it can be done and it is as you say a simple batch file then how do i actually make it run the commands from the program on startup? i dont know how to go about setting that up??

damien

damienb said:
Hey people,

When I plug onto the network at my work office, a small progarm runs on CMD which was written by the IT guy. It basically finds your place on the network, maps the network drive and reconnects to all the office printers and sets the defaut printer.

I want to be able to do a similar thing at home if this is possible. All I want the program to do is set my default printer at home.

The gyt has shown me the program and it written in notepad but I dont know how he gets it to run at startup (as long as you are on the network)?

Can anyone help me?

Damien

The script is run at work because of the amount of work you would have to do each time you turn the PC on just to add all the different printers etc.

You really dont need it at home, just log onto your laptop as a the local user and install the default printer for yourself, this will then be stored in your local user profile and will be there each time you log on.

i have the drivers on my pc for the printer at home already and that is already what i do. i have to make the default myself each time i switch my pc on at home. just thought i could make a similar program to run when i connect to my wirless network at home so i dont have to make my printer at home the default each and every time. is that possible? or do you think its not worth the hastle??

damien

so you use the same laptop for home and office and when at office it is writing new profile with the new hardware
best create a shared 2nd profile for home log in with that setup
it would then not change setting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back