How do i change the voltage of my cpu???

Status
Not open for further replies.

aikZ_

Hi everybody,
i have just started over clocking and so far i have done my video card, and a bit of my cpu. however, i cant seem to get the fsb to 200 which i should. everytime i change it to 200 in the bios and i restart, the computer turns on, but the monitor turns off. i am assuming this is due the insufficent voltage. so my question to you is, how can i change the voltage if there is no setting in bios, and is there a program that supports amds that i can download to tweak the voltage. thanks.

In the bios there should be a setting for cpu voltage, usually called "vcore" or "vcpu." Don't increase it too much, and watch your cpu temperatures.

hi, there is no setting in the bios for the voltage. so i was wondering if there is a program i can download to adjust it. neither vcore nor vcpu appear in the bios. thanks

im assuming your starting speed is 166mhtz, careful!
a good rule of thumb is that you cant overclock over 20% or even less
if you do manage to increase the voltages, you have to do it in SMALL increments..i dont recommentd an overclock if you cant afford replacement parts. if you do overclock successfully the life span of your cpu will go down and there a chance that during the incremenets of overclokcing you can ruin your cpu

You really shouldn't bother OCing if your BIOS has no Vcore, Vdram or chipset voltage settings, you need all 3 to be successful. You might look for a BIOS update from your mobo manuf. BIOS updates are a little dangerous though if something goes wrong like a power bump you're screwed and must take the mobo in to the shop.

If you still want to try you have to up FSB by only 5-10Mhz steps and reboot each time until it won't. Then you up the RAM voltage, then u up the chipset voltage and then u up the CPU voltage as the last opion. If it still won't boot, you must reduce the FSB by the last step amount. Then make a smaller step increase and repeat.

Good luck.

thanks for all the answers. ive got the cpu at 2800+ now, and i was hoping to go to 3200+. many forums say that u can achieve this quite easily by tuning the fsb to 200. i want to do this slowly, but i run out of voltage before i can do anything. a mate told me that you can dwonload software for amds voltage control, but i have been unable to find it. im assuming im low on voltage, becuase when i set the fsb to anything higher than 185, the monitor wont turn on. (could be insuffienent voltage to video card?) thanks,

managed to get it up to 3000+ without changing voltages!! :D i dunno how i did it, but im going to need some artic silver pretty soon or my cpu is gonna fry. thanks for everyones help.

hi, ive been all over the bios and i still cant find any vcore adjustment. all i can see that is close to vcore is in 'pc health' where it say "vcore : OK" thats about it. ive used easytune 4 a little bit, and its not bad, but i still cant adjust voltage, and i cant seem to use the multiplier. any ideas on how to unlock the multiplier? thanks,

and yes. i am using the ga-7s748 that ive got listed in my profile. thanks,

ahhh! i get it...sorry to everyone....i didnt know that was the voltage control. i thought voltage control would allow me to adjust by small increments, but what is in my bios allows me to add 5%, 7.5%, and 10%. sorry....i didnt know thats what voltage control was. so if thats voltage control, how are some people able to set fsb to 200 and achieve a clock speed of a 3200+? when i set my fsb past 190 my screen wont turn on. thanks

Did you try adding 5% and 190 still failed? If so, then maybe your cpu just can't do any more, cpu's do vary, some oc better than others. Also, if you can get a setting to boot, you should run a program, like prime95 (torture test), to see if the cpu is stable at the oc level it's at. Sometimes a cpu can boot to windows, but not be stable, if it's not stable, you'll likely experience random crashes.

adding 5% to 190fsb boots, but it is still at 3000+ which is wat i have at the moment. im trying to achieve 3200+, but the multiplier is super-locked on my processor i believe. is there any way i can unlock it or an jumpers on my mobo? thanks

p.s. sometimes when i get everything going well at 3000+,, after i have shutdown the computer and left it for a while and come back later to start it up,the fsb is wound back to 187, changing the example speed to 2800+. does anyone know why this happens?

On most AMD you can't increase the multiplier above 10 or 11, but you can decrease it. I think only the FX series is fully unlocked. What are you trying to get to, 2GHz? You probably want to add 3 to 5% on Vram as well. It's prob listed as 0.05 or 0.1Volt increase in your BIOS.

Rolling back to 187 FSB? You might have some thermal protection running in the BIOS. Put an external fan on your PC while you're working out your limits.

thanks kirock, how would i decrease the multiplier? because i cant find the setting for it in the bios. i can increase vram by 0.1% or something like that...that is my only option. thanks,

Well it should be listed as CPU multiplier and will be the only entery with a value of 9,10 or 11. If you can't click on the value and change it then your BIOS just doesn't allow that. Make sure your HT bus does not go over 1GHz.
Your HT is FSBXHT multiplier (usually 5), 200X5=1GHz. Set your HT mulit to 3, then increase your FSB to 200. If that doesn't work change your mem ratio to 200:100 (for now to eliminate any RAM limit).
Now if your FSB is 200 and your CPU multi is 11 you have 200X11=2.2GHz.
Keep going until she won't post. For example lets say: FSB= 250, at X3, X11 and 200:100. You'd have 250X3= 750MHz, so you could go to 250X4=1GHz.
Now 250MHz/ mem ratio = 250X100/200=125MHz. So you could up your mem ratio until 200MHz. So it would be 250X160/200=200MHz, so your ratio would be 200:160. Add a little voltage for more stability and you're done.

Here's a good link I use when I forget: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=107925

Cheers

thanks, ive decided that there isnt a lot that i can do. instead, im just going to work on upgrading hardware. im planning to add 2x1gb corsair sticks and run them in dual channel. i was going to buy 3 gbs, but i was told that it could slow down the computer rather than speed it up becuase the motherboard has so much more to handle and process.
i am also thinking about purchasing a Leadtek 6600GT 128mb 128-bit.
hopefully these upgrades will allow my computer to run a bit faster.. thanks for all your help. anybody out there got a Leadtek 6600GT that they can tell me about? i had a look at reviews on the internet, and it rates reasonably well in benchmarks.

thanks,

how would i access the HTfsb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back