How do I delete this icon from my desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running 64-bit Windows Vista and there is an icon on my desktop that I can't delete for some reason. It is a shortcut and I recently uninstalled the program that it goes to. When I try to delete it (or move it into a folder so I don't have to see it on my desktop) Windows gives me a message saying the file is no longer located in my desktop folder and prompts me to try again or cancel.
I assume when I uninstalled the program (which is Civilization IV, if that matters) it deleted the shortcut as well but left the icon there to clutter up my desktop. Any ideas on how I can delete the icon from my desktop? This is really bugging me. Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to add when I go to the desktop folder in Windows Explorer the file isn't there but again I can see it on my desktop and am unable to delete it

EDIT2: Now the icon is gone.. Sorry about this, it has been there all day but it's not there now. No idea how I got it to go away

frequently, programs will create a shortcut in

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
or
\Users\All Users\Desktop​
which will then show up for all users under their own logins but not be 'deletable' under those logins.

Tip: login as ADMIN, run->explorer c:\

naviage to the All Users\Desktop
and delete it there​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back