How do I enable S/PDIF sound on my ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kua

Hullo there!

I thought I'd better seek help before this sends me round the bend.

I have a DAC which must be connected to my PC via the Coaxial S/PDIF out (the orange port thingy - I hope I'm using "port" correctly there).

So, I took out my sound card. Went to uninstall the Creative driver (it was a Creative card) but I couldn't find it and am assuming it somehow uninstalled itself... This could be my first error.

Then I went to install the ASUS sound driver (SoundMax) but whenever I tried to do so I got the message "The HDA Audio Bus Driver is required but not found". I figured I got this message because it seems (I didn't build this PC) on-board sound is actually on a mini-sound card with the P5N32. So I popped this in and could then install the driver. But no joy from the S/PDIF. (The loss in quality downgrading from my cheapo Creative to onboard sound is really noticeable btw, so that bodes well for the DAC).

I went to check things were set up ok in the BIOS. The only thing that seemed to relate was under Advanced -> Onboard Configuration -> HD Audio. This was set to Auto, as oppose to disabled. So that's presumably ok. There was also an option to change "something or other" (sorry I'm going from memory) from HD Audio to "AC97". I tried changing that over to AC97 but still the same result. (EDIT: Now I have the driver installed, if I set this to HD Audio I get a BSOD)

To be quite honest I don't feel like I know what I'm doing so please point me in the right direction .

Thanks. All guidance and lessons appreciated!

I wondered whether there was something I had to adjust in the driver control panel, so I took a look in the Help sections there and came across this: "If your system supports SPDIF (Digital Audio), there will be an Advanced Controls button under the Master volume control. This button will display the SPDIF controls." Well there is no Advanced Controls buttion under Master volume control, which is something of a concern...

"Disable Digital Output" is unchecked btw.

-----

Here's how that menu looks in my BIOS.

Also I did wonder whether there was some loose connection, so this is a picture of my mobo directly behind the S/PDIF port. But as far as I can make out there is nothing missing that should be there. Apologies for the dust!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back