How do I extract data from an external Sata HD on Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a MAC that crashed. I bought a USB connector to connect to the SATA HD. When I hooked it up to my PC, my PC cannot see it as an external HD.

I am running Windows 7.

I see the drive in the Disk Manager, but I cannot assign a drive letter to the partition where all the data is.

How do I get the data off?

You'll need to get something to add HFS+ support to your Windows 7 box - there are several products that do this but I don't remember having used any of them. There is also the option of trying to boot to a live Ubuntu (or other linux) CD and including both NTFS and HFS+ support on it. Then you copy the data from the HFS+ drive to your NTFS drive. I'm not sure how difficult it's going to be to add support for these when using a live CD, but it might be as simple as going to Synaptic.

Yes, it is a piece of software. Some are free and some have cost, but again I say I cannot recommend any because I don't remember if I've used it before. I have HFS+ and NTFS support added to my Ubuntu installs because I deal with these types of filesystems all the time, but I've never tried it with a live CD.

Here is an article about HFS+ and it includes a couple of links that may interest you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus#Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back