How do I make a replacement user profile in Windows 7 SP1 32-bit OS?

mikepbmike

Hey,

I need to create a replacement user profile in Windows 7 SP1 32-bit OS. This was easy in Windows XP, all I had to do was log in as the local admin, rename the desired user profile, then have the user log in. A new profile was created for them, and all I had to do was copy any necessary files from the old profile to the new profile.
Not so in Windows 7; it looks like I have to create a local user account before I can create a new user profile. The user is in a domain, and I never had to create local users before to do this. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Mike

FIXED!! The fix involves modifying the registry (standard boilerplate inserted here) - do this at your own risk. Backup before making registry modifications. Here's how recreating a profile is done:
1) Login as administrator.
2) Rename the target profile (the target profile is the one that needs to be recreated).
3) Delete the entire registry key for the target profile (should be "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\targetprofile" , where "targetprofile" is the name of the profile that needs to be recreated).
Note: Click on each of the entries below "ProfileList" to find the one key using the target profile name.
4) Reboot & log in as the target user. This will create a new profile for the user without you having to
The process ends here.create a local account on the computer for the user.

Mike

Back