'How do you want to open this file?'

Try uninstalling chrome and re-downloading a new copy and reinstalling it. It's the quickest and easiest way then trying to trouble shoot your issue.

That is why I typed (SOLVED) , because it did not happen this morning, how ever I will do so anyhow just to see if it works :)

I don't know how to answer your question.It don't matter if I launch Firefox or Google Chrome, I go to get my coffee & when I get back a few minutes later, the rectangular pop up says "How do you want to open this file"? I usually click the top of the browser & its gone till the next morning, NO OTHER time.

Looks SUSPICIOUS to me. That dialog occurs when an unknown file extension, say x?z is on a file foo.x?z and there's a request to open that file. This is regardless of using a browser - - it is inherent in the core OPEN request.

That's way I ask for the file name - - normally it is shown.

Next time it pops, reply NOTEPAD.EXE - - it will open anything and display on the console

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, it has ONLY happened in the morning. If it happens tomorrow morning I will include a screenshot, thank you. :)

Try uninstalling chrome and re-downloading a new copy and reinstalling it. It's the quickest and easiest way then trying to trouble shoot your issue.

I agree chrome v63.xxxx has some problems I just had to update mine last night.
Because of a cookie-cache problem with online retail stores and some other crap with twitch.
Google has v66 so it should work unless of course something else just breaks with it too.
Open up cmd prompt type, ipconfig /flushdns that will clear out any cache, history and cookie debris in your browsers while refreshing the connection.

Hmm; no file name shown - - awe sugar! For a certainty, you intercepted something that should not have been occurring.
Start scanning your system with whatever tools you have.

I have scanned my pc with several tools Broni has had me use in the past, I will re run ALL of them again. I might ask Broni for help

...[ ]....Open up cmd prompt type, ipconfig /flushdns that will clear out any cache, history and cookie debris in your browsers while refreshing the connection.
AFAIK CCleaner clears the DNS cache. Many people have the program installed. If that's the case, no need to use a command line instruction. https://www.ccleaner.com/docs/ccleaner/ccleaner-rules/windows-tab/system-files.

I'm not saying it's not good to know how to flush the cache in Windows, just that CCleaner will do it for you.

@learninmypc If you would be so kind, take a moment to explain what you mean by "reset".

There are several entirely different procedures, all of which could possibly interpreted as a reset.

Simple, if you looked at the video, it shows 2 ways to reset a pc. I chose the option to save files & programs instead of wiping it clean. I did deete a few unneeded items first but snce I reset it, that pop up has not popped up :) :)

Simple, if you looked at the video, it shows 2 ways to reset a pc. I chose the option to save files & programs instead of wiping it clean. I did deete a few unneeded items first but snce I reset it, that pop up has not popped up :) :)
That's essentially what's called a "repair option", with Windows 7 & earlier. In the case of those older OSes, you would do it from the Windows disc for that particular machine. Pop the Windows disc in the optical drive, and make the choice to "repair" or "install", which was the "wipe my drive will ya",option

Dunno where M$ is getting the Win 10 for the reinstall, download or clogging up your drive with a spare copy laying around.

Pre-built PCs often had a "D:/" partition with a spare copy of windows on board. So yeah, that wasted drive space as well.

It seems M$ has chosen to revamp the vernacular, as well as their OS.

All a case "reset" button does, is force a hot restart, without having to go through the start menu.

And a "reset" of the BIOS, is the whole, "take out my battery and wait 5 or 10 minutes, ordeal.

Thanks for your input.10 years ago I would of never attempted such a thing. I was recently given 2 laptops which I have successfully reset both to factory settings. Next item is to decrappify both.:)

,,,,[ ].... Next item is to decrappify both.:)
Look at it on the bright side, you would have to do that even if the laptops were brand new.

My, (recently retired) 2005 eMachines had a restore disc.The BIOS was locked so that you couldn't use a regular Windows disc for an install.

I remember spending "many happy hours", pulling AOL's dial up crap out of the machine.

The restore discs did have a repair setting though. The trouble was, the machine shipped with XP SP 2.

Should you be so bold as to update to SP-3, the repair function no longer worked, and you had a mandatory full install.

Anyway, I got rid of it just after its 13th birthday. I figured any day it would start to grow hair all over, and begin bringing boys home. :eek::D

Look at it on the bright side, you would have to do that even if the laptops were brand new.

My, (recently retired) 2005 eMachines had a restore disc.The BIOS was locked so that you couldn't use a regular Windows disc for an install.

I remember spending "many happy hours", pulling AOL's dial up crap out of the machine.

The restore discs did have a repair setting though. The trouble was, the machine shipped with XP SP 2.

Should you be so bold as to update to SP-3, the repair function no longer worked, and you had a mandatory full install.

Anyway, I got rid of it just after its 13th birthday. I figured any day it would start to grow hair all over, and begin bringing boys home. :eek::D
LOL, I've dealt with aol. A friend wanted me to speed up her desktop about 8 years ago & removing aol took up 90% of the harddrive, it was fun. Have a great day. :)

Oh,oh, my bad. After re reading this thread a few times because its happening on my Acer all in one, I erroneously said or made it sound like I was starting my pc up in the morning & it started then. Incorrect. The computer is already running, I simply start using it & that is when that pop up shows up. I found this link https://www.trickyways.com/2018/03/...o-open-this-file-popup-on-windows-10-startup/ & am hoping it will solve the problem. Yes, this thread is 9 months old :)

@learninmypc That link is quite interesting, and appears to be a good find. I'm sticking with Win 7 for now, but it seems prudent to keep up 10's quirks anyway. Who knows, I might get backed into a Windows 10 corner someways down the road.

FWIW, the newer Intel boards have a deeper sleep state than the older "S-3" (suspend to RAM), used on older desktops. That, coupled with that fact you're dealing with a laptop(*) which is trying like hell to conserve battery power, could explain the reappearance of that message on resume from standby.

Sorry, I see you have an all in one.However, the new sleep state does attach to that machine as well.

I have a home built i5-6600k & z170 board. Although the PSU is certified "Haswell ready", sometimes if the machine is on standby for too long, it wakes up with no video.

I have to force a shutdown by holding the off switch for a few seconds. The machine reboots through BIOS, but then proceeds to put up Windows exactly as it was, as if you were coming back from a normal standby.

Last edited:
Back