How good are Socket 775 DDR3 boards?

kylercagni

Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me how good are Socket 775 DDR3 motherboards, because I cant find any of them from any of my local stores, and they said they were no longer being made

LGA 775 is for all intents and purposes...dead.

If you're looking for a DDR3 LGA 775 board, then your best bet is the second hand market. You're looking at/for P45/P43, X38 and X48 Intel chipsets, 750i SLI, 790i and 790 Ultra Nvidia chipsets. Some of the Intel boards are "combo" (have both DDR3 and DDR2 memory slots. You cannot use both types of memory at the same time)
There is very (very) little performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3 performance with LGA 775 unless you start heavily overclocking (DDR3-1800-2000+) -certainly not enough to go on some kind of internet pilgrimage looking for one

I thought I'd made that reasonably clear.
If you're looking for a DDR3 LGA 775 board, then your best bet is the second hand market.
If you cant find one in retail/etail -and I believe that only the mainstream P43 chipset boards are still on shelves anywhere(unless SA is markedly different from the rest of the planet)- then you're pretty much left with online auctions and the local secondhand market.

Hello everyone. Sorry for disturbing you in this old thread which was created and active in the year 2011. The reason why I post in here because I would like to ask whether P45/P43 chipsets are still relevant for medium/light tasks in the year 2018. I have unused following items:
1) Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
2) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650
3) ATX case
4) ECS NVidia GeForce GTX 570
5) Galax NVidia GeForce GT 1030
6) 405W power supply unit.

Since I have all the unused items listed above, I'm thinking to purchase P45/P43 chipsets based motherboard as an additional desktop(s) for doing medium/light tasks. I only shortlisted the P45/P43 chipsets based motherboard that supports DDR3 up to 16GB (this is the reason why I only consider P45/P43 chipsets).

If you think that P45/P43 chipsets are no longer relevant in the year 2018 and just a waste of money (even though I only need to purchase motherboard and ram to complete a desktop), I will not proceed this intention.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Well the Core 2 Duo 8600 is probably irrelevant, or at least surpassed by any Core i3 (2 x 4 thread) CPU. The Q9650 is the obvious choice.

The GT-1030 is only going to be best at 720p gaming, certainly with respect to newer titles.

As for the "405 watt PSU", I guess that's going to depend on exactly what brand it is.

P-43 / P-45 boards are going to be hard to come by new. (The word "used" always scares the crap out of me).

Memory is sky high right now, at least for DDR-4. Don't know about the prices of DDR-3 ATM, though.

I'm not sure your definition of relevant exactly meshes with mine. I'm using a G-41 with a Pentium E-6300 (No, not the original Core 2 duo), with 4GB of RAM, and 32 bit Win 7 Home. Serves me fine for the web.

You're actually going to have to be a bit m,ore specific about your needs, as "relevant", is subject to a wide variety of interpretations.

You're certainly not going to conquer Steam gaming with an E8600 and either of those video cards you mentioned.

Socket 775 DDR3 motherboards are really good in attaining good clock speeds, but they are not produced anymore. So, to get your hands on one of those, you need to try any used computer accessories supplier for this.

Socket 775 DDR3 motherboards are really good in attaining good clock speeds, but they are not produced anymore. So, to get your hands on one of those, you need to try any used computer accessories supplier for this.
The E-8600 in question would be like greased lightning, assuming you could find, or already have programs, which are only single or dual thread tasks. But they're getting rarer all the time.

Once you hit programs with 4 or more threads, one of the peppier i3 series would eat it for breakfast.

Something else, IIRC, the E-8600 was the tail end of that series, and many boards you run into could conceivably need a BIOS update for that CPU. That's not true of the lower numbered processors in the 8xxx series. It's at least worth looking into anyone is considering building a box based on that particular CPU.

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Sorry for disturbing you in this old thread which was created and active in the year 2011. The reason why I post in here because I would like to ask whether P45/P43 chipsets are still relevant for medium/light tasks in the year 2018. I have unused following items:
1) Intel Core 2 Duo E8600
2) Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650
3) ATX case
4) ECS NVidia GeForce GTX 570
5) Galax NVidia GeForce GT 1030
6) 405W power supply unit.

If you think that P45/P43 chipsets are no longer relevant in the year 2018 and just a waste of money (even though I only need to purchase motherboard and ram to complete a desktop), I will not proceed this intention.

Thank you and have a nice day.

You owe me:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OJRGYA/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CP5Q7M/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20

I would buy a whole computer second-hand (make sure it boots) that has the 775 chipset. Probably the easiest way to attain a 775-mobo.

Given their age you won't be spending much more than getting just a mobo, and would be more abundant.

I bought mine from ebay. I needed one for a core 2 duo chip. the other was for a i7 2600 chip. both worked fine.

I would buy a whole computer second-hand (make sure it boots) that has the 775 chipset. Probably the easiest way to attain a 775-mobo.

Given their age you won't be spending much more than getting just a mobo, and would be more abundant.

Back