How much physical damage can a gaming desktop withstand?

Hi, I wonder how much physical damage a gaming desktop can withstand, like loosing it in the ground, just move it around for a good distance etc.? And how long is the average lifetime for a gaming desktop?
Thanks for reading! :)

Hi, I wonder how much physical damage a gaming desktop can withstand, like loosing it in the ground, just move it around for a good distance etc.? And how long is the average lifetime for a gaming desktop?

You will receive more replies if your question is clear. Right now, I can't say I understand what you're asking. But, I will try and see if I can answer your question.

The amount of damage a desktop can go through all depends on material the case is made out of. What 'damage' it is actually going through and the frequency it incurs the damages. If you're talking about moving a desktop from one place to another. For instance, you're going to a LAN party and you're moving it from house to house. You do put your machine at risk, but it all depends on how you handle it. I am pretty sure if you are careful the desktop wont go through any damage.

However, if you're talking about intentionally dropping a PC or dragging it around (why in the world you be?). Then, again, it all depends on the material the case is made out of. As well as how well put together the build is in general. I am sure most people will not want to think about what may happen to their machines if they dropped it on the floor. The damage could result in parts breaking or coming a loose. Problems that I believe you will want to avoid.

When it comes to a Gaming PC's lifetime. It all depends on the parts that are used. For example, I could build a PC today with all the latest parts and it will probably last me a good 5-8 years. However, I can't say you will be able to call it a "gaming" PC 8 years from now. At the rate technology advances the machine would probably only retain it's "gaming" title for another 2 or 3 years.

Hopefully that clears up something for you. And, maybe someone with more knowledge on the matter will chime in.

It more depends on the individual components. Dropping a case will not do much to an HDD, SDD, optical drive, CPU, mobo, PSU... but it will probably do things like this:

- Break the HSF perhaps also damaging the mobo.
- GPU and expansion cards may collapse under their weight, damaging mobo and cards themselves.

Agree with St1ckM4n. As long as the computer isn't running (danger for spinny hds) it can take a lot of abuse. The biggest concern is the HSF exerting a lot of torque on the motherboard if the system is dropped or bounced (like in a car) in its normal upright position - video cards could also be a problem too because often high end ones are incredibly large and heavy.

So if you are going to move a desktop system around, its better to have it on its side.

^ Right, I thought that should be self explanatory but yeah, better to state the obvious than assume and have something go wrong.

Back