How Much RAM Does Your PC Need?

learninmypc

From loading up your computer’s operating system to opening an internet browser or running an application, your PC requires a minimum amount of RAM to function effectively. However, throwing more RAM at your PC doesn’t necessarily mean better performance.

[HEADING=1]What Is RAM? FULL ARTICLE [/HEADING]

From loading up your computer’s operating system to opening an internet browser or running an application, your PC requires a minimum amount of RAM to function effectively. However, throwing more RAM at your PC doesn’t necessarily mean better performance.

[HEADING=1]What Is RAM? FULL ARTICLE [/HEADING]
Minimalism. I like the performance of 8 GB at least.
I have 16 GB that makes me happy. I never needed to be so
happy to have 32 GB unless a program such as a video editor can not work without it.
When I see only 4 GB I know a easy way to improve performance is with 8. A SSD instead of a HDD also improves
performance. (not responding) freezing error messages do not happen so much with a little more RAM. Don't you think?

happy to have 32 GB unless a program such as a video editor can not work without it.
When I see only 4 GB I know a easy way to improve performance is with 8. A SSD instead of a HDD also improves
performance. (not responding) freezing error messages do not happen so much with a little more RAM. Don't you think?
Thats a bot sounding response if I've ever seen one. A whole lot of text and not a lot of sense.

I've got 32GB, using 23.4GB. macOS 12.1 though

OK, first off I know what RAM "is". So I don;t need an article to tell me.
RAM is "information purgatory" in the biblical sense. Data goes there to rest, but not to reside.

So, how much is enough, is dependent on your usage. If you have, my browsing habits, (open tabs, but consider them "too valuable to close"), then a 32 bit OS & its max of 4 GB of RAM, is never enough. I'm always "running at red line" with the machine I use for the web.

In today's world, an SSD is a must, not a luxury.

Personally, I've never given it too much thought. I just light up another machine, which is my idea of "multitasking"

Other than that, open task manager and find our how much RAM YOU need, don't measure against anybody else's requirements,

Ironically, the machines I need the most RAM on, are the ones that have the least. :confused: .

Last edited:
If you are looking for the bare computing essentials, 4GB of laptop RAM should be sufficient. If you want your PC to be able to flawlessly accomplish more demanding tasks at once, such as gaming, graphic design, and programming, you should have at least 8GB of laptop RAM.

It's not so much what you need as what you may need. Adding extra ram and matching it can be a problem. With laptops ram may even be soldered in so my suggestion is buy more than you think is necessary. My W11 desktops have 16 Gb ram upped from 8 Gb. Give yourself a comfortable margin at the start point.

I like to have more RAM than usual. As I have to edit videos, writing, reading online I need more than it used to. Usually a desktop can hold 32GB of RAM and I am happy with my 16gb RAM in my Windows 10. Later I will increase the amount of the storage.

What is your video editor software you are running? I get results with a lot less than 32 gb.

Back