How to configure my SSD/HDD

Hi guys, Names' Eric. I purchased an Asus G75VW-BBK5 from best Buy (the RoG version) I am dropping the extra 8gb RAM into this week, however the SSD in addition to the existing HDD is another story all together. When it comes to this it's a bit above my "pay grade" if you know what I mean. I.e. NO CLUE what I'm doing. (I go to school for Game Art (Animation [Maya, PS, ZBrush, Shetchbook], 3D Design, Concept Art) and while I know I really need a 'workstation laptop' (Elitebook / Thinkpad) I dont have the $'s for one. So, while the G75 is great for playing games I need more power from it. How should I configure my SSD/HDD marrage and where can I get that done (WPB, Florida). AND where and what SSD should I aquire? I know it's a lot so ty in advance. please reply to [email address removed for safety]. tytyty

Ok I'm a little bit confused here. What do you aim to achieve with this upgrade? ( I.e. define "more power").

If you are looking for faster performance in application/programs, then an SSD upgrade will not really help you, anything to do with faster processing will be effected by the CPU. An SSD upgrade will give you a snappier operating system, faster boot times and reduce the loading times when you open programs.

As LukeDJ noted above, an SSD won't give you "more power", but things you use every day, like Windows and your web browser, will open files and web pages a lot faster, and your overall user experience will improve. It won't lower rendering times for animations and digital photography/videography, those are functions of your CPU/GPU. Regardless, it's a worthwhile upgrade, and a 128 GB SSD should be okay for size, unless you plan on loading a lot of games on it, then I'd get a 256 GB model. Samsung 840 Pro, Corsair Neutron GTX, Crucial M500, , these are fast and reliable SSDs you should consider. The hard part for the inexperienced is migrating their old OS and settings to the new drive. Your laptop has a second drive bay, which is good, because you can keep your 1 TB HDD for storage and use the SSD as the boot drive. Ideally this should be a clean install of Windows on the SSD, and wipe the HDD clean. Your laptop also has a recovery partition which has a copy of the original state of your OS, so restoring it is no real problem, but if you're not familiar with the process, there are several pitfalls which could prove disastrous. Therefore I recommend you have all this done by a professional, if you decide it's worth all the trouble and expense.

Back