How to fix doc and docx file?

Hi!
I have couple of ms word documents that I cannot open, they somehow got damaged and I get an error when trying to pen these files "file has been corrupted, or cannot be opened". I have tried couple of tools to open this files, but so far no success. I am mainly concern about the content, the formatting can be re-done, do you know of a any tool, or a trick that will open these files?
Thank you in advance!

The question has come up a few times and the answer is that when they are corrupted that's it. It's very unlikely you will be able to use them again. Always back up anything that's essential.

Two questions:

(1) Are the files DOC or DOCX?

(2) What version of Word do you have?

I have one file that is DOC and other that is DOCX (edited ans saved with the current version of word). I have Word 2013, 2010 and 2003. I have tried opening with different versions and I get the same error message. Thanks!

Open with notepad? Notepad will open anything, the question then is how readable is what you opened. Since its already a document with text and the text is what you care about, that should be viewable in notepad. (replace notepad with textedit if you are on OS X)

Back