how to get new ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

oouutt

how do i get new ram and how much would it cost and what would i need for my situation (how much ram).

here's what you need to do to find out the kind of RAM your system takes...

there are 2 ways:
1) open the system up and take out the RAM itself and look on the lable it should say what type of RAM it is (ex. 1GB DDR2 PC-5300)

2) if your not comfortable opening your system just yet download and install Belarc Advisor. run the program and it will have a section that tells you exactly what type of memory is in your system.

after you find out what type of memery you have its just a matter of goin to bestbuy or any other store that sells computer components or go online to sights like tigerdirect.com and buy the RAM..

To determine how much RAM you need i would say a minimum for running a windows xp system is 1gb if your a big gamer or do alot of photo editing with programs like photoshop or paintshop pro you should get atleast 2gb of RAM..

most 1gb sticks cost between $40-$150 depending on the brand

well hope this helped....

Go to www.crucial.com and have their system tell you what ram you have and what your system will take then use that info to find ram at a better price.
If you wish to add ram along with what you already have then it MUST be an exact match.

If you wish to add ram along with what you already have then it MUST be an exact match.

It would be wise to trust this...

When I 1st started switching parts out with my computers, I accidently got the wrong speed for the RAM and I literally melted the RAM slot, burnt my finger and the stick got so hot it fried :|

Ouch that must have sucked TimeParadox. :D
Oh well you live and learn.
Ok as for the new ram, once you have found out what type your computer needs I suggest checking out newegg.com for the ram. I have found that they usually have some of the cheapest prices and they also carry the best brands you can get. Good luck on the search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back