How to make a Heart shaped cd?

MrGaribaldi

Hello folks :)

Sorry for being absent for so long, but I've still not gotten net access @ home....

Anyways... I've run into a little problem, and was hoping someone here could help me...

A special someone is having her birthday this friday, and I've decided I want to give her something... :eek:

What i want to do is burn a cd with one song (Somethin' Stupid), and cut the cd into a heartshape...

Problem is that the film on the cd is only fastened at the inner and outer parts of the cd, so whenever I cut it, it'll loosen a bit...
This again means that the cd won't survive for more than a couple of days at the most... Which kinda defeates the purpose...

Any ideas appreciated!

Heart shaped CD-Rs do exist, as do many other weird and ungainly shapes i ;)

I don't have a valid suggestion to help you out other than perhaps find a place to buy one at.. Unfortunately, they are extremely rare to come by and you might not have enough time after shipping etc if you find a place online.

I'm going to throw up some hypothetical suggestions, since I really don't know what I'm talking about. :) Perhaps you can heat the edges using something really hot (I would avoid an open flame though because you just want the edges). I would imagine that melting the sides would be quiet tedious, but if you can get a few key points, it should hold in place.. yeah?

Also, perhaps you could use a glue or epoxy of some sort. LIke super glue.. And seal off the edges with it? LoL.

Geez man.. I don't know.

Originally posted by Rick
I'm going to throw up some hypothetical suggestions, since I really don't know what I'm talking about. :) Perhaps you can heat the edges using something really hot (I would avoid an open flame though because you just want the edges). I would imagine that melting the sides would be quiet tedious, but if you can get a few key points, it should hold in place.. yeah?

Also, perhaps you could use a glue or epoxy of some sort. LIke super glue.. And seal off the edges with it? LoL.

Geez man.. I don't know.

Hehe... I've found a couple of places on the net where I can order them, but only in 100+ quantities.... And even if I could get only one, the shipping would take ~1 week, which'd be way to late...

Anyways... I've so far tried:
Tape: didn't work at all, as the film was disrupted even more...
Heating: used an Iron on one part of the cd... helped a bit, but the cd didn't like it too much (it was suddenly no longer flat... :()

So far using a knife seems like the best option, even if it takes ages to cut a small part... (Scissor fast, but bad effect on the film)

I can't use fire, as it'll destabilize the cd, so it won't play (I've tried that on an earlier project that was scrapped)

But thank you for the suggestions... :)

I found a solution :)

Using a plastic film for cold lamination on top of the cd helped give the "cdfilm" more stiffness....

I then used a scalpel to cut away the film I didn't need, and finally a scissor to cut the cd...

Now with just a bit more practice, I'll hopefully have a cd I can give away :)

And to think I wouldn't have found this out, if I hadn't dropped into a bookstore and the person in front of me bought the same cold lamination fillm...

MrGaribaldi being resourceful with a scalpel scares PHATMAN. lol :thumbup: nice job though on the idea and i'm glad that you could get what you were looking for.

I would cut it with a utility knife, start where the top of the heart is the deepest, cut out in a circular motion, and do the same with the other side.

How many CD's have you gone through trying to do this? :eek:

You could try a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel on it. Don't know if it would work though but its worth a shot

please post the final directions for this idea, as it is a very neat one. I would cut my cds in all sorts of shapes. lol but seriously i am interested in what works the best and the easiest.

Originally posted by Vehementi
How many CD's have you gone through trying to do this? :eek:
He's doing it for a special girl, I don't think that the cost of wasting a few cds trying to perfect it is really that much of an issue to him. :)

Originally posted by SNGX1275
He's doing it for a special girl, I don't think that the cost of wasting a few cds trying to perfect it is really that much of an issue to him. :)

I know...It's only a simple curiosity, that's all :stickout:

Hehe...

It depends on how you count...
After using the film, about 5...
With every try, around 25...

Some where miscut (cut into the track), some lost all the film, some to small "corners" etc...

The final product isn't perfect, but it's close enough... Everyone who's seen it has thought it was heartshaped :)
If I want it to be a perfect heart, I'll have to cut it into a small cd shape, and then shape it, which'd make it nigh impossible to keep the film still sticking...

As for directions...

First cut the plastic film around a cd (you don't want to do it afterwards!)...
The apply it (start in one end, and use something to help squeeze the air out (a ruler, marker pen or something)) to the cd...

After that, cut away the film which are not covering the cd...

Then cut out the hole in the middle of the cd...

Put the cd in a cover and tape a papercut, of the shape you want the cd in, over the cd...

Use a knife/scalpel to cut the cd. Make sure you don't cut into the track, or closer than 1 cm to it!

Take out the cd, then use a scissor to cut the plastic... It's easiest if you cut about 1mm away from the film, as it'll disrupt the film less...

The use some more cold lamination film to tape the film to the cd (apply it first on top, then, whilst keeping it tight, wrap it under the cd)...

Then just pop it in a cd player, and you're good to go :)

Just remember to add a little warning to whoever you're giving the cd to, that it can not be used in a slot-in cdplayer!

Note, the cd should not be used in a highspeed cdrom either, as it'll probably rip the film apart after a couple of uses...

And now all I have to do is build up enough courage to send it to her along with 3 roses and a card ;)

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
Note, the cd should not be used in a highspeed cdrom either, as it'll probably rip the film apart after a couple of uses...
Audio CDs don't spin as fast as data CDs. They don't need to. It's only 150k/s.

Back