How to make an Operating System?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows has a lot more programs made for it, but the os is terrible. I love Linux, but a lot of programs are for windows and mac only, I also heard that macs are the best, but I'm not paying 1000 dollars. I want to make an OS based on Linux, but can run windows programs instead on Linux programs.

I guess throwing a donkey down from a multistory building would be much easier though :D

On a more serious note, however, Linux isn't as safe as people perceive it to be; I used to follow various security related mags/sites etc. in this regard, and few years ago there was a time, when on average each week more bugs/holes were discovered in linux than windows. Then due to my personal reasons/obligations i didn't had much time to stay in touch. Anyway, the long and the short of it, no OS is secure enough, no OS is perfect, it is as good or as secure as the user want it to be (through what he/she has installed/how they use their pc etc.).

Anyway, you may choose to have a look at this for what you are looking for.

I guess throwing a donkey down from a multistory building would be much easier though :D

... no OS is secure enough, no OS is perfect, it is as good or as secure as the user want it to be (through what he/she has installed/how they use their pc etc.).

Before throwing the donkey, do harness a parachute to it, so that the poor fellow has a chance to land on his feet, and not do too much collateral damage.

As far as security is considered, no matter how carefully the user, installs or uses their PC, the inherent flaws in the os, will remain till a fresh patch arrives.

Point well made, Thanks ...... I see no reason not to attach a parachute to that donkey; however, a harness redesign may be needed. :cool:

I'll move for the O.P's topic: How To.

First, unless you are a gifted programmer with a great deal of experience, I suggest that this is a mammoth undertaking -- even if you know how, it will consume months of your life.

Second, even with programming skills, the ability to factor the tasks into reasonable chunks is not self-evident. Just the list of major elements is interesting:
  • booting
  • a kernel to manage and contain
    • real (plus a possible virtual) memory management
    • all those pesky device drivers
    • a display manager for at least the console (the 'terminal' used to boot and control the system itself) perhaps X11 to provide GUI support.
    • i/o system (including a filesystem and APIs to provide access to files)
    • program management (ie loading, unloading, resources)
    • at least a TCP module for 'communications'
  • perhaps support for 'loadable modules' like Linux to allow your kernel to be minimal and yet able to configure device and features supported
and all of that needs to avoid module-A depending upon module-B which depends upon module-C, which needs A (ie a race condition)

From the experience of millions of users and multiple years of just Windows patches and hotfixes, it should be self-evident that the above is far from trivial. One doesn't begin a project like this just because "I don't like the xyz system". One needs a burning desire to do this. If you're underlying goal is to get something "easier, faster, less complicated, and cheaper", then this is not the path to solving that goal.

Personally, I have Windows, OS X and Linux Red Hat and by far the easiest to manage and use is the OS X. By way of contrast, Windows people like to twiddle with the hardware and things like overclocking; Mac people just want to work on the system to perform tasks. That comment alone might give you insight to your real passions.

Best wishes.

I'd suggest getting a Net Install image of Gentoo and starting from there. If you can get that installed and working with ease then install WINE. Accomplishing that is probably as close as you really want to get to building your own OS, you'll see what I mean when you try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back