How to play long video games when you have no time

Excellent article. As a husband/father with a full time job (and current writer here on TS), I constantly feel like I never have enough time to play games. I've been focusing on Black Ops 4 since its something I can get in and out. I also have a Switch for the exact reason the OP listed. I can play Rocket League in spurts. Normally I'll also play one longer game over a couple of months. It took me nearly 3 months to actually beat BOTW lol

Excellent article. As a husband/father with a full time job (and current writer here on TS), I constantly feel like I never have enough time to play games. I've been focusing on Black Ops 4 since its something I can get in and out. I also have a Switch for the exact reason the OP listed. I can play Rocket League in spurts. Normally I'll also play one longer game over a couple of months. It took me nearly 3 months to actually beat BOTW lol
Took me almost 5 to get to the end of BOTW. before that I had without exaggeration at least 10 months playing the witcher 3 (Mixing some Online BF1/BF4) and did not get to finish the last DLC xD.

Edit: Having 2 Kids, Wife and not so 8hr schedule work (always more that only 8hr lol), I think I'm doing fine.

Last edited:
What the heck are you doing playing games when you had no time in the place? Maybe you should consider work sharing. Gaming were meant for leisure time :)

Prioritize work and gym.
Then play games and watch movies/tv shows if you're single.
But don't forget to look online dating sites or go out with friends to try to meet someone.

If you have a wife or kids then those become priority.

Let's not forget grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, self-grooming/hygiene

Live life in balance with prioritization.

Great article Keza. I like the "pick one game" suggestion. In fact, I think this philosophy is worth extending to other leisure activities, when there are so many options presented to us in this day and age.

Personally I have been sticking to old favourites and playing short sessions when I get the chance (usually single player strategy). Also resisting the temptation to stockpile games during Steam sales, and savouring what is already present in my library.

What a nice read! Sticking to one massive game helps a lot though. I play RDR2 on weekends and then spend weekday coffee breaks telling the adventures to my colleagues. Both are wonderful experiences. Next in line is Metro Exodus, although I'm not sure I'll be able to complete RDR2 by that time because its sooo huge :p

Just deal with the idea that you now have a life ;) and enjoy every bit of game you can play

I recently made an effort to finish ME trilogy in a rush and really enjoyed it even 10 years later than everyone :D

Unfortunately I now have the double problem of limited time & money :D

I’ve got no kids but my issue is I’m always travelling. One recent magical discovery is civilisation VI on the iPad. It helps eat the flights up and I love playing it. Wish I could get Skyrim though, may need to invest in a switch.

Right now, I average about 45 min to maybe an hour a half every time the wife does her work out routine. Weekends I get up early and average 4-6 hours, that all done without a kid.

Baby is on the way, so I am estimating I will have much less time to commit to games, which sucks because open work RPG and exploration games are my favorite.

That being said, I just tend to play games that are either a quick match or don't involve any multiplayer so I can quit at any time.

or you just dont play, simple as that

As someone with a 5 year old and a 3 year old, I can count the amount of games I finished since their birth in one hand.

It took me about a year to finish the Witcher 3, and I'm about to start Dark Souls 3 soon. One of the benefits is that I really appreciate these games more than before and I'm genuinely excited to start it. Also one tends to be a lot more careful about which games to play.

Also try not to fall into the Steam sale trap. I don't even know how many unplayed games I have in my Steam library.

Maybe play with your toddler and stop standing around. You make it sound like a chore

Buying a Switch was probably the worst decision I made when I decided I had less time than ever to play games. The joycons suck, and make portable play more of an exercise in seeing how many times my hands cramp in 20 minute intervals, or how many times I hit one of the closely paired ZL/L ZR/R buttons on accident. Don't but a Switch for portable play if you have hands big enough to palm a basketball, bottom line.

This is the main issue in my life nowdays, I spend a yaer and half to finish The witcher 3...it was a massive amazing loooong game and I'm so busy. I work 9 hours per day, studying on the week-ends too, and I have so many stuffs to to when I came home...Oohh I realy miss the old golden days.
MORE TIME MORE GAMES MORE FUN !!!

Back