How to reinstall Vista on Acer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envergure

Rather than ship an actual Vista CD with their computers, Acer gives you a Windows install partition.

I got an Acer Aspire 5920G laptop which came with Vista Home Premium. It worked alright, but the few bugs were enough to cause me to switch to an XP/Ubuntu dual-boot setup. Now, the only program I ever use Windows for is FL Studio, and it performed a lot better in Vista than XP because of its timer-based (rather than callback-based) audio subsystem.

So, now I wish to switch back from XP to Vista. I boot from the install partition, but unfortunately it's switched modes and is now a "restore" partition.

When it launches, the first thing it tells me is that a file that should tell it what language to use is missing, so it defaults to English.

Next, it asks me what I want to do. I select "restore to factory defaults". Other options are "restore from CD/DVD" and "Exit".

After warning me the hard drive will be wiped, it complains "Restore failed because of reason 0xA000001" and turns off.

Anyone know how to get it to reinstall?

PS:
The guy at Staples told me it was impossible to redo the first-time installation and wanted to charge me $100 to have them do it and burn a backup CD. He told me about how some poor girl had spelled her name wrong when she typed it into the registry and wanted to return the computer because that made it unusable, the point being to scare me into spending ridiculous amounts of money on something I could do myself. I asked him what she was doing typing her name into the registry in the first place and he was totally unprepared to answer the question, so I think he was making it up :p

K. That must be something new that Acer creates a Restore Partition...

Anyways... I assume there is a CD-Key written on the buttom of your laptop?

If not, i can't help you.

Yes, the CD key is on there.

In the meantime I've written to Acer support to ask what the error code means. I think it may be a filesystem problem, but I'm not going to go formatting my hard drive until I hear back from them.

Well, it's been a while and their Web site says "we support hardware and preinstalled software only". I think they decided Ubuntu isn't preinstalled software and aren't going to answer.

EDIT: Nevermind, it turns out I'm an ***** and I somehow managed to close Firefox without ever sending the message. I just resent it:rolleyes:

I would reccommend contacting acer and ordering restores disks... it will cost around 60 or 70 dollars but they will send the disks directly to you....

thats something that EVERYONE needs to do the first time they get a computer before they hook it up to the internet is create restore disks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back