How to speed up boot time in Vista 32-bit Home basic?

G

g4mer

Hi, my Windows Vista sometimes takes 5 minutes to boot up. I disabled everything from start-up except Avast anti-virus. If you know any tips to speed up my boot time please tell me.

Specs (Toshiba Satellite notebook):
Dual Core Intel CPU @ 2.17GHz
3Gbytes of DDR2 RAM @ 800MHz
Intel GMA 4500M Integrated GPU
Windows Vista Home Basic 32-Bit

Thanks.

there could be a lot of things that could slow it down. first thing i thought of was stuff at starup but it seems you already ran msconfig. is the anti-virus a resource hog?

select selective start up from msconfig , clean up ur pc with cleaning tool , selcet the recomended programs to load on start up , u can use reginout to select programs to run at start up , it has an option of system clean up that will clean up ur system cache, and will increase ur system spoeed to some extent

is the anti-virus a resource hog?

No, its Avast AV 5.

select selective start up from msconfig , clean up ur pc with cleaning tool , selcet the recomended programs to load on start up , u can use reginout to select programs to run at start up , it has an option of system clean up that will clean up ur system cache, and will increase ur system spoeed to some extent

I tried that, it helped alot...but its still long! My desktop PC with single 1.8Ghz core and 1Gbyte RAM is booting XP about 10 secs...and this dual core 3GB ram laptop is booting about 2 minutes now...which is still slow for a dual core 3gb pc.

Deleting all your temp files in (Note this is XP not familiar with Vista) c:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local settings\Temp and C:\Windows\Temp, doing a defrag and a check disk on C: will help speed up boot time.
You could also do a File Run SFC /Scannow to make sure all your windows files are intact (this will require the Windows CD if install from one, not if installed from a restore partiton.
I also like to use Sysinternals pagedefrag routinely.
It runs on XP 32bit & higher and is free at:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897426.aspx
You can also look in the registry for Run commands that didn't show up in msconfig. You can find that at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN & RUNONCE, there may be something in there that is not needed. This should be researched didligently though before removing. And as always a Registry backup begfore proceeding is an excellent idea.

Thanks, that helped also. Still slower than my Xp desktop pc, but thats ok because Windows Vista is slow and totally *yucky*.

edited by LNCPapa for un-hidden vulgarity

Actually - a patched up Vista isn't bad at all. It's speed is not too far off from Win 7 which is quickly becoming the platform of choice for gamers.

Right now i have Vista Basic SP 1 installed. I don't know if there's a Service pack 2 for Vista :D.
Sorry about the "un-hidden vulgarity".

Back