How to turn off sound 'start navigating'

I've got a very annoying problem: I can't turn off the sound 'start navigating' in IE. Cannot get it done in the sounds-menu of Windows XP.

Somebody?

Well, aside from Pygmus' good question :p

Have you tried Ctl Panel->Sounds, click Sound tab. Scroll down to Start Navigation then use the pull down menu to set it to sound file: None. Click OK

How about; in Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet options, Advanced tools tab, scroll down to 'Multimedia', then untick, 'Play sounds in web pages'

Wouldn't that kill all sounds in IE such as the audio on Youtube videos?

OP, it might be time to just go with Firefox and the Adblock Plus add-on. :p

OP, it might be time to just go with Firefox and the Adblock Plus add-on. :p

I probably do that. But I find it strange I cannot turn that stupid sounds off. I've got two pc's, both with an legal version of XP Home: both the same problem.

What if you deleted or renamed C:\Windows\Media\Windows Navigation Start.wav? If it still needs that file there you could create a wav that was just blank (no sound) and name it 'Windows Navigation Start.wav".

Those suggestions really sidestep the issue though. Something is going on/isn't right with your system if you tell it not to play a sound for that and it does...

Perhaps you could go into regedit and delete the key in this folder that links to the .wav file:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Explorer\Navigating\.current

Perhaps you could go into regedit and delete the key in this folder that links to the .wav file:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\Explorer\Navigating\.current

I was just browsing and noticed your name is an anagram of the town I live in, Gypsum. High five! :D

Back